• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rooster77

rooster77
  • Members
    • Member ID: 181,333
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:19 AM

Heres some info concearning the movie Patton.

https://www.imdb.com...t0066206/trivia

#2 rooster77

rooster77
  • Members
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:33 AM

You will find the actual speech that General Patton gave to the 3rd army... here

https://en.wikipedia..._the_Third_Army

I would have posted the speech here but Im sure the servers would have censored it !!!

Historians acclaim the speech as one of Patton's best works. Author Terry Brighton called it "the greatest motivational speech of the war and perhaps of all time, exceeding (in its morale boosting effect if not as literature) the words Shakespeare gave King Henry V at Agincourt."[14]Alan Axelrod contended it was the most famous of his many memorable quotes.[20]

Edited by rooster77, 22 December 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#3 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:43 AM

Interesting!  Thanks.

#4 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:09 AM

The 2nd Cavalry's unit history has an awesome description of one of his speeches.

#5 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 24,365 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

Just got the DVD yesterday from Ebay, gonna start watching it tonght, haven't seen it in years :D

#6 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 17,319 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:43 AM

Back when the movie came out, you could write the company that produced it and copies of the pages from the script where Patton gives the opening speech.  I did just that and had it for years.  Long gone at this point.   If I recall correctly, I think it was edited down from a longer version that he actually gave.

When the movie came out, there was still a lot of anti-war / anti-military sentiment in the country.  Vietnam was still raging.  There were predictions that the movie would fail to gain an audience... that proved to be incorrect.  It restored a lot of the pride and nostalgia from the WWII era.  There were a lot of veterans still around back then, as well as their children.  It was a cultural phenomenon that attitudes in general had shifted against the Vietnam War, and yet there was still a sense of pride from our effort and eventual victory in WWII at the same time.

It was a strange time to be alive.

#7 easterneagle87

easterneagle87
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,131
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:22 AM

I have friend who was my assistant and the manager for a pretty well known D-1 college football team. He played Patton, especially the opening speech for some of the players and it got them pretty pumped up before a game. 

#8 jmd62

jmd62
  • Members
    • Member ID: 159,199
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:21 AM

I've always loved that movie, Scott's performance was epic. Even Patton couldn't have played himself that well.. ;D 

#9 rooster77

rooster77
  • Members
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:03 AM

Back when the movie came out, you could write the company that produced it and copies of the pages from the script where Patton gives the opening speech.  I did just that and had it for years.  Long gone at this point.   If I recall correctly, I think it was edited down from a longer version that he actually gave.

When the movie came out, there was still a lot of anti-war / anti-military sentiment in the country.  Vietnam was still raging.  There were predictions that the movie would fail to gain an audience... that proved to be incorrect.  It restored a lot of the pride and nostalgia from the WWII era.  There were a lot of veterans still around back then, as well as their children.  It was a cultural phenomenon that attitudes in general had shifted against the Vietnam War, and yet there was still a sense of pride from our effort and eventual victory in WWII at the same time.

It was a strange time to be alive.

I saw it when I was 6, when it came out..... My Dad took my Brother and I to see it.

I didnt really understand it like I do now.

But I remember being shocked by it and impressed by it even at 6.

George C Scott did a great job although Patton did not have George C Scotts Voice !!!

The Real George Patton.

Pay particular attention to the clip from 1:45 to 2:35

Listen to what he says...

Edited by rooster77, 14 February 2020 - 11:11 AM.

#10 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 7,371 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 05:13 AM

Sounds like Ronald Reagan narrating. Sought squeaky isn't he.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

#11 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 24,365 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

While watching it, the musical theme never gets old, always stirring, and at points chilling, that organ playing and all :D

Edited by patches, 15 February 2020 - 08:44 PM.

#12 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 04:49 AM

Remember the scene where the german tank actually runs over one of the stunt men playing a german soldier?!...that really got my attention as a kid watching that movie!....mike

#13 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 24,365 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:15 AM

Remember the scene where the german tank actually runs over one of the stunt men playing a german soldier?!...that really got my attention as a kid watching that movie!....mike

That's in the El Guitar scene, bumps him, he goes down, he is under the tank as it rolls forward, watching again the other night, I did notice he was very close to the track, uncomfortably close, on the tanks left side (Our Left, Thanks Right) as he falls, but when tank moves off scene forward we see he's unharmed and he's holding his helmet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users