Vietnam War Airboats.

Mr-X

Det A-404, Co D, 5th SFG(A), IV Corps Vietnam 1970.

3080351558_c1c6f10985_o.jpg

From VetFriends.com flickr photostream.

Co's Boat, El Cid; my boat, Head Frog (my call sign)

When we think of the Vietnam War we Often think of soldiers jumping in and out of helicopters as this was the major strategy for combat.

In late 1964, another form of transportation and combat made its debut in the Mekong Delta, the Hurricane Aircat (Airboats).Capable of operating in just four inches of water, it was powered by a rear mounted airplane propeller and could reach almost 35mph...perfect for the Marsh land and rice fields.

This speed of 35mph made the craft perfect for flank security of Riverine assault boats or for fast reconnaissance.

CIDG and Mike Force units also used them in the rainy season to pursue and intercept the Viet Cong throughout the flooded areas of the Mekong Delta. The Aircat was armed with a Browning 30cal. machine gun mounted on the bow and could carry a maximum of 6 soldiers. Some were mounted with a 50cal. mounted on the bow but that would push the boats back and they would have to keep pulling forward as they lit up the tree lines firing on the Viet Cong.

Photos taken by myself in April 2008 of the preserved Aircat Airboat at the Korean National War Memorial.

28122008322.jpg

28122008327.jpg

Mr-X,

Thanks for this interesting post. I had no idea that air boats were used in Viet Nam. Must have been a Florida boy that came up with that idea ;) One thing is fer sure--they were not used in stealth operations! :lol:

Charlie Flick

Hello Mr-X:

I thought that perhaps you might like to see this pic from my photo archives.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Mobile_Strike_Force_Airboat_30_BMG.jpg