I Think I Lost the Battle of Bougainvillea (Not Bougainville)

mikie

Looking for a plant for the side yard a few years back, I chose a Bougainvillea basically because I had just read a book on the battle of Bougainville even though I don't think there is much of a direct connection. Flash forward 6 or 7 years to yesterday when I was trimming it. I stepped on a branch and one of the darned monster thorns went right through the sole of my boot and stabbed my heel. A day later it still hurts like heck. I won't even mention the cuts on my hands. What, wear gardening gloves? Me? Never!!! Wouldn't have done much good against those samurai swords for thorns anyway.

I don't think the Bougainvillea has suffered much from the trimming, but it definitely did a job on me! Fair enough, I guess.

Moral of the story...Be careful if you make a landscaping selection inspired by a battle.

post-2687-0-03326800-1575911542_thumb.jpg

Mikie

Well, it seems to have beautiful flowers if that's any consolation.

Thanks. And yes, it is quite nice, especially when in bloom.

Mikie

dhcoleterracina

Boganv. has thorns, not a friendly plant for your guests. It does have great uses but I think it's in the wrong spot unfortunately. Does Star Jasmine grow in your area? It will climb though you might need support like a trellis, fragrant flowers and no thorns.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a decent plant for my yard in Florida. Most everything we plant the dear eat. I know the thorn hurt. Year or so ago I was pulling a hook out of a sail cat (big salt water cat fish). They have a dorsal fin that is 5 or so inches tall. Put my foot on it and the dorsal fin went through the sole of my shoe and right into the arch of my foot. It hurt.