They didn't do it for the pay.

Here is a voucher for 10 months pay to a Union Army soldier. I've had this in my collection for at least 25 years. Hard to read, but it looks like John Graham was in the 10th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. At the time, regular pay for enlisted men was $13.00 a month. I never was able to find out information on John. Hope he made it home safe.

post-2687-0-09367700-1575667730_thumb.jpg

Just thought you'd like to see what these men earned for saving the Union.

mikie

mysteriousoozlefinch

John Graham served in Company K, 10th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and the regular army Signal Corps from August 1863 until he joined the Massachusetts contingent of the "Frontier Cavalry", recruited from Massachusetts (A-D), New York (G-L), and Vermont (F & M). Also known as the 26th New York Cavalry. He lived long enough to draw an invalid pension. From Millbury, MA he was a shoe maker when he enlisted.. In 1875 he was living in Rochdale, MA.

Wow! Thank you for that information! I looked around many years ago but never could nail him down. I'm glad to know he survived the war. Interesting that he was in the Signal Corps. I've always a soft spot for it.

Thanks again!

Mikie