2 replies to this topic

#1 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:55 AM

Gents,

I picked up a brown leather belt box with a variety of musket tools that I could use a bit of help with identifying. The tools came along with a Model 1863 US rifled musket that was complete with quite a few period accouterments, some of which were in the box.  The collector documented buying this rifle in the 1950s but there is no provenance for anything further back that this date.  

I think the three bladed multi-tool is a Model 1866 US musket tool but I am certainly open to other thoughts.  The four nipple wrenches are all slightly different from one another.  None of these tools are marked in any way and all show use.  

Any help with individual identification of these tools is appreciated and thanks for looking.

Attached Images

• Nipple wrenches.JPG

Edited by SARGE, 05 December 2019 - 10:15 AM.

#2 VMI88

VMI88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 265
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

I think the three bladed tool is the only original one - the others are more recent black powder accessories.

#3 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the input.  You may well be correct that the nipple wrenches are more modern tools.  I know that the previous owner of my rifle shot the firearms in his collection so post period-of-use tools would make sense.  For instance, there were some mini ball bullets that he had cast in the grouping as well as some post CW percussion caps along with the period sling, spare nipple, etc.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users