A few more C. S. local notes

I wanted to post a few more notes from my collection. These are from Pointe Coupee Parish and most are dated in 1862. The paper is almost like a tissue paper. I have seen a few other types with yellow print but have not been able to purchase them yet. Pointe Coupee Parish is the birthplace of John Archer LeJeune. His father was Captain Ovide LeJeune, an officer in the 1st Louisiana Cavalry CSA.

The other is a 5 cent note from the city of Opelousas Louisiana dated April 21,1862. I am not sure of the rarity of this piece but I have never seen another. I picked this up at an estate sale in Opelousas years ago. People were literally pushing and shoving trying to grab common Confederate Notes and when the dust cleared and the crowd died down I stepped up and this and a $1.00 note were all that was left. Glad I waited.

post-8007-0-67334300-1575430922.jpg

post-8007-0-73255100-1575430989.jpg

Really neat the way they were issued by parish. As a young man from Michigan getting stationed at Ft. Polk, learning about parishes and Louisiana law was quite a culture shock! That said, I wouldn't trade those memories and that experience for anything. Thanks for sharing more notes. Scott

It's all right Scott. Other than several years in Vicksburg MS, I have lived here in Cajun Country most of my life and it still shocks the hell out of me sometimes. Especially during Mardi Gras. :wacko:

Very nice. I've been interested in getting into these but really don't know the safest way to get started.