Anyone see this flag auction at Heritage Auctions

manayunkman

CNY Militaria

I saw it and it has a lot of neat pieces. I am not sure if we will see a flood in the market since these are all going at once or if the big bucks will come out. The history of the individual that acquired them is quite interesting and reminds me of the Harry Block Aviation Collection that was amassed during roughly the same timeframe.

The man who acquired them had a museum?

How did he document his acquisitions so you know the provenance?

There are many interesting things.

The man who acquired them had a museum?

How did he document his acquisitions so you know the provenance?

There are many interesting things.

My first thought was to provenance as well - its seems all they have are his inventory sheets.

Some that really pop out are from the USS Arizona, USS Missouri, Corregidor, Patton,s HQ ....

It would be nice to know where he got them from.

Maybe just knowing they came from him is enough?

I don’t know?

I took the time to take a closer look.

The man who acquired the flags was the US Surgeon General.

Some pieces have provenance like the standard from the 29th ID.

Most seem not to.

CNY Militaria

It's worth considering that back when people acquired militaria or notable items like these, provenance wasn't a thing. Now we all want it as collectors, and for good reason, but at the time if this guy said he had the flag belonging "such and such" and obtained it personally from him, no one would really question it.

That all being said, one of the things I noticed like on the 29th colors, is that the letter states that it was "one of the colors carried by the unit in WWII" and the auction listing puts it on the beach at D-day. I also wonder about the legality of chain of ownership, if (as in that flags case) it was donated from the unit to the VFW (through the Dr.) so shouldn't it belong to the VFW - or was he just using that association as a "shell" for his own collecting purposes? Don't get me wrong, there are some really fantastic flags there, and everything may be completely original, but I try to apply some critical thinking to these kinds of things before I reach for my wallet.

One of my local auctioneers has been selling some of the less historic flags from this collection. The provenance kept by the original collector was definitely less than ideal... sometimes its just a few words written on the hoist saying it was flying over NYC City Hall during WWII or something like that, but its usually just a number written on a tag tied to it. At some point there was a box of paperwork, but I believe most of those were accession notes from embassies for the international flags. Nobody tried to match up the individual papers to the flags being sold.

• 3 weeks later...

Just looked through some of the lots. I can tell you that the AVG lot has reproduction wings and bloodchits in it, alothough they are listed as original WW2 era in the descrpition. This alone would make me a little weary of the rest!

JD

I was wondering about that JD.

That is disheartening to know that an established auction house can’t vet what they sell.

I was wondering about that JD.

That is disheartening to know that an established auction house can’t vet what they sell.

The buyer(s) knew this was clearly a caveat emptor auction and they bought anyway.

I understand that Bob, but they claim they are from the period and then it’s buyer beware?

That’s unscrupulous really especially when it wouldn’t be that hard to find out.

Maybe they already knew they were post war?

I’ve heard of auctioneers saying they think it might be but you be the judge.

But to say it is and then it may not be is crappy from an ethical standpoint, say nothing of the fact that they contradict themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
CNY Militaria

Here are a few of the sold prices from this auction. These do NOT include the 25% buyer's premium:

Enigma Machine: $106,250

Painting by Ike: $93, 750

Flag From Battleship Yamato: $47,500

US 48 Star Flags

USS Enterprise Flag: $30,000

USS Hornet Flag: $27,500

29th ID Carried: $27,500

Patton Vehicle Flag: $25,000

Patton HQ Flag: $23,750

USS Empire Javelin: $23,750

Flag from Corregidor/MacArthur's HQ: $17,500

And the lost goes on and on with high priced flags and items. For those that think no one is paying top dollar for quality military, check out the completed prices of this and other major military auctions!