Removing glue & velcro/ best way to Display

LIFER

I am not too concerned on patches with glued backs. Once I find what to use to have them mounted and not wonder if they will become out of place (down the line) without permanently affixing them to a board, and not ruining them. But the ones that are Velcro backed, always manage to grab onto another patch, and it's always the front part. Then I have to be careful to pull them apart, while I am organizing them. Plus, those don't entirely lay flat, and would seem odd, next to a non Velcro patch, especially behind plexi/glass.

Is it worth it, not destroying the patch, or the value? Or just deal with it?

Lifer

Hello Lifer, all patch collectors deal with this same problem. I usually put them back to back in a box or put them in clear plastic bags, like you find at hobby lobby. seperating them. Personally I dont remove the velcro. I like them as is. Shows they were worn. A nice plus for me. Good luck!

Great question about the Velcro. I hate thos backs.I usually remove them and then keep them all in a plastic bag.I’m not sure if it ruins the value, I doubt it.

Buy a roll (2 inches wide) of either hook or loop and cut out and put on back of patch.

I use the "hook" same side as the velcro to attach,makes it easier to come off and won't stick to and or damage the velcro side, if you want to add it to a uniform.

If the patch is bigger then use your discretion.

Phill

Buy a roll (2 inches wide) of either hook or loop and cut out and put on back of patch.

I use the "hook" same side as the velcro to attach,makes it easier to come off and won't stick to and or damage the velcro side, if you want to add it to a uniform.

Phill

I did the same thing... just cover the backside of the velcro patches with a reverse layer of velcro. It makes them thicker in a display frame, but they don't slide or catch on others. I think I found velcro at Hobby Lobby, with a fabric store being another source.

Hello Lifer, all patch collectors deal with this same problem. I usually put them back to back in a box or put them in clear plastic bags, like you find at hobby lobby. seperating them. Personally I dont remove the velcro. I like them as is. Shows they were worn. A nice plus for me. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, and suggestion.

Great question about the Velcro. I hate thos backs.I usually remove them and then keep them all in a plastic bag.I’m not sure if it ruins the value, I doubt it.

Thanks, between my own collection, and a group collection, they always find another patch. Looking at them, and to save time, It seems I will keep it in tact, at least with my collection.

Phill

Hi Phil

Thanks for the tip. I will check on that.

I did the same thing... just cover the backside of the velcro patches with a reverse layer of velcro. It makes them thicker in a display frame, but they don't slide or catch on others. I think I found velcro at Hobby Lobby, with a fabric store being another source.

Hi Gil

It's good to know you did the same. One of the things might be on how I display them. If the patch is too thick for the display, I will just remove it.

The Velcro backed squadron patches can sometimes be worth a lot more then the same patch with out Velcro.

That seems so true. I will keep them like they are and put them on a board.