• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 easterneagle87

easterneagle87
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,131
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:52 PM

Got this grouping from a good friend. I posted other information about him about on the "Groupings" listing. 

Clyde A. Maples. Served 391 days in the Canadian forces before exiting to become a Bombardier.

My question, if he served that many days, wouldn't he eventually be entitled or eligible for a Canadian WW2 service medal? The discharge paper says, no awards. Could he have petitoined at a later time? I guess maybe after he left and was eventually in the Air Force that these guys moved on and it wasn't important.

I've put this over on ebay so it is available.

His ribbon bars I got with the group are early and I know he was in until 1958 so there are holes in them any way. No Airlift medal (even though he has the Occupation w/ Berlin device), no National Defense or Korean War associated medals. I'd like to know what his final rack looked like.     

Attached Images

• Canadian front - Copy.jpg

Edited by easterneagle87, 16 November 2019 - 02:55 PM.

#2 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,964 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:29 AM

I've had one group like this and the fellow received his War Medal quite a while after the war had ended (the medal itself was authorized in August 1945). Since the requirement was 28 days active service in the armed forces, he would have easily qualified for it. 

#3 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

I believe that serving in the Canadian military that he would have been entitled to the War Medal and the Volunteers' Medal (without o/seas bar).

#4 1canpara

1canpara
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,167
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

He only needed to serve 28 days of continuous service for the War Medal, but for the volunteer medal he needed 540 days (basically 18 months) of service, so he should’ve at least been awarded the War Medal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users