US M1905 Bayonet & M1910 Scabbard.

LenR

This is my first post on the forum. I have enjoyed being a visitor but now feel it is time to "get on board" and participate. I have been a militaria collector for 45 years give or take although less active more recently.

My question relates to the pictured M1910 scabbard which along with the bayonet has been in my collection for about 30 years. The bayonet itself is 1919 dated SA, retaining an easy 95% plus original smooth black parkerizing and blued finish. I have only recently removed the scabbard cover (USMC replacement) and found the letter/number stamps on both sides of the raw hide wrapping. The wrapping is stitched along the edge.

I have not previously seen such markings on a M1910 scabbard. Would any of the US bayonet enthusiasts on the forum have encountered anything similar or have an idea of the significance of these markings.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Len.post-266545-0-57760000-1573775343_thumb.jpg

Gentlemen, a quick note of thanks to all who have viewed this post - 300 plus but no opinions or thoughts?

Could the stamp be a unit marking?

TIA.

Len.

Charlie Flick

Yes, Len, it could be a unit marking. I don't know for certain but my guess would instead be a "rack number" or inventory number. It is Bayonet Number 106 of those issued to Company 5. I have never seen anything like that marked on the body of a M1910 scabbard before, but there is no reason to fake something like that with a cryptic marking. Looks legit to me.

BTW, welcome to the Forum. We're glad to have you here with us.

Regards,

Charlie

LenR- Just took a hard look at the picture. The only unit I could think of that might have companies by number is the First Special Service Force. Knowing they were a composite unit of U.S. and Canadian soldiers, you being from Alberta, you may have a bayonet from that unit. Just speculation on my part, but that could be an answer to your question. SKIP

Hi Charlie and Skip, appreciate you taking the time to offer opinions on the "mystery" markings.

It occurs to me that based on the SERIF style letters/numbers the markings probably date back the period of manufacture - circa 1919.

The condition of the bayonet with negligible wear to the original period finish and only a few abrasions and nicks on the rawhide wrap near the scabbard tip would seem to indicate little service use. The USMC cover is of course a replacement and it can only be a matter of conjecture when it was added. Any in event it has been with the bayonet since I acquired it from a dealer in Upstate NY some 30 years ago.

Thanks again.

Len.