SgtMaj of the Marine Corps Chevrons

Brig

Here're a few pieces I've got in my collection. First, are packaged sets of metal chevrons for the cammies, dated July 1998 as date of production, when Lewis G Lee filled the billet. I have 5 sets, but can't imagine what to do with 5, so a couple will be up for trade soon

SgtMajMC_Chevrons.JPG

I believe I had these up before we lost all the info on this forum and had to start from scratch. Here's a pair of FEMALE sized SgtMaj of MC dress blue chevrons, an interesting production goof as there has never been a female to fill this billet...

SgtMajMC_WM.JPG

Here're a few pieces I've got in my collection. First, are packaged sets of metal chevrons for the cammies, dated July 1998 as date of production, when Lewis G Lee filled the billet. I have 5 sets, but can't imagine what to do with 5, so a couple will be up for trade soon

I just saw your post on SMMC metal chevrons. Many years ago (1976, to be exact) I wrote to the then SMMC asking about the possibility of buying some of his chevrons. In January, 1977 I received a package from the SMMC that contained a pair of dress blue chevrons and a pair of the plastic collar chevrons. I have been looking for a pair of the metal ones ever since. I am also interested in the female chevrons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Brig,

Few questions regarding SMMC rank:

1) Typically, when did the plastic chevrons come into use and were they phased out? I assume they existed alongside the metal insignia as a cheaper purchase option?
2) Does anyone know what year the female chevrons were accidently produced (or in what quantities?) Was it just dress blue chevrons? I've never seen any others in female size.
3) In looking closely at official photos of the SsMMC the first one I see wearing chevrons with merrowed edges is SgtMaj McMichael in 1999. Is that about when the entire corps started using merrowed edges or did SsMMC just continue to use old stock til it ran out?

Also this is interesting (I'm sure you probably already know), I realized that the older unmerrowed versions have mirror images of the western hemisphere on the globe, but when I inspected a modern set that I removed from the package they corrected it so that the continents point correctly on each chevron. I wonder when exactly they did it.

From what I've read, plastic chevrons were used very briefly during Vietnam era...however I once found a plastic Gunny chevron in the laundary room of the barracks, so there may have been a private producer. That said, they were the ATBn (later 2/9 and eventually 2/6 barracks, which I had the terrible misfortune to live in for 4 years, go to Parris Island for a few, and somehow end up back in the EXACT SAME BUILDING with 2/6 for another 2), which from my understanding had been out of use since the 70's until AT activated in 2004...so it may have been left floating around

I believe merrowed edge USMC chevrons came into use around 1995

My experience with the plastic chevrons is similar to what's mentioned in the thread linked above by Patches. They were easier to maintain (no need for em-nu), but prone to breaking. We could get them in the late 80s, early 90s, though I don't recall if they were a PX or cash sales item. Below I have added a couple of photos of a pair I would have bought around 1993 or so. Given that they have an NSN on the front, I guess they came from clothing sales?

And for the merrowed edge chevrons, I know that when I replaced my winter wool & summer poly service uniforms in 1992 with the new all-season gabardines before heading for MSG duty, I opted for merrowed edge chevrons and hash marks. I figured they looked sharper, with no Irish pennants to worry about. I'm guessing from the discussion merrowed edge is the only option now?

Hope this adds to the discussion.

post-124367-0-24040500-1417124718.jpgpost-124367-0-85778900-1417124725.jpg

I'm guessing from the discussion merrowed edge is the only option now?

It is. There's also only one producer of insignia in the PX anymore since H&H went under back in 2007/2008

It's a black lacquer sold in little bottles meant for touching up the finish on insignia. It's junk, I don't know anyone who still uses it, we just buy replacement chevrons. We used it in boot camp for repainting the lines on the barracks floors

Yeah, it's kind of a gooey gloppy mess as I remember. It definitely didn't make your chevrons look like "nu." We got much better results with a bit of sandpaper and a can of flat black spray paint.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I dont think it's an error piece because of the way the edges are folded over the back. Possibly prototype or fantasy piece (although if it's the latter, it looks like it was very well done).

We'll see what the others think.

Thanks Brig & jasonc, must of been something exclusive to the USMC/Navy, never heard of it obviously in the Army. Back then in 80-82, and I,m sure earlier, and later, we just used the magic marker on our subdued metal insiginia, heck some, like myself,used the Black marker on the LBE hardware (if going on Guard Mount).

SgtMaddoxUSMC

We used the MNu on all that hardware also (in boot camp is pretty much the only place youll see it) before any kinds of inspections, buttons on canteen pouches, stuff like that.

• 1 month later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

hey guys check this out, I was looking through auction archives on Worthpoint and this image popped up. It is female SMMC chevron but not the modern regulation size, but the older smaller stubby female sized chevron. I cant get a larger image this is all that I can get. Sure is cool though!

post-133515-0-04150300-1421265179.jpg