187th Airborne Paratrooper M1D with DUI Decal

Mr. Scratch

This is a part of a larger named lot. Rear-seamed stainless-steel rim. Korea-era, or early post-Korea? Decal is under a yellowed lacquer. I assume this is some sort of parade or inspection helmet, barely looks worn at all.

post-3113-0-06608500-1572897977_thumb.jpg

Tried to get a decent pic of the decal, but the sunlight seemed to wash them all out and make it look too bright. This is as close as I could get.

post-3113-0-21382400-1572898240.jpg

I would say Korean War era, super cool helmet. I agree mostly likely a parade piece, doesnt look like it was worn at all

Thanks, Korea/thereabouts is where it should be, that was the date of the rest of the grouping. Close inspection reveals just a touch of staining to the sweatband, what I would expect from one or two short appearances on the parade field. Late WWII manufacture shell, Korea-era liner.

I mistakenly labeled this as an M1D in the title, when it is actually an M1C. Just heading off the inevitable correction. (MODS - can you guys change my title to be more accurate?)

So, poking around a little online, I came across other helmets like this. In particular, this one posted by WARPATH:

post-3653-0-01785000-1446076458.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/252927-187th-airborne-rct-m1c-jump-helmet/

The above is obviously an earlier WWII-era helmet.There are other similar examples, but this is the best of them. It appears that the 187th, for a time, made it a point to semi-regularly embellish their helmets like this.

Does anyone have any photos of these types of helmets in use with the 187th?

picked this up a while back, haven't had time to look into it yet. Its named with laundry #. I think its an in country Korean War vintage set. 187th ARCT 11th AB Div. ???

post-105153-0-78140000-1573163146.jpg

Sure would like to see more of the group.

At first I thought your title said paratrooper mad with decal.

Who doesn’t want to know what that’s all about?lol

Mr Scratch thats a really nice 187th i think they started using that style patch 53-54 but will have to check that fact, usoverlord that looks nice too wiuld live to see better photos of it??....mike

Sure would like to see more of the group.

The rest of the grouping can be found here. The helmet was held back by the previous owner, but it is now back with the rest of the grouping. The group is from Sgt.Truman Beddingfield, who was also a Ranger in the 3rd Ranger Co. in Korea.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/324104-documentsphotos-3rd-ranger-co-187th-airborne-infantry-reg-rakkasans/

He gets mentioned in the book about the 3rd Rangers, "The Cold Steel Third", the story of the 3rd Ranger Co in Korea. In one anecdote his squad was hit by a Chinese ambush, and Beddingfield was knocked to the ground by bullet impacts. He felt a sticky fluid oozing down him, and hollered for a medic. The medic arrived, assessed the situation, and discovered the bullet had struck a can of peaches in Beddingfield's rucksack, and the liquid was the syrup from the peaches.

That story was apparently a very popular tale in the company, and it was related to the author a number of times from different sources. One officer who related the story said that they had to retreat from the ambush and Beddingfield had to leave his bullet-riddled rucksack behind. This frustrated him because he apparently had $400 in his field jacket pocket, still inside that rucksack. The officer said he offered to let Beddingfield go back and retrieve it from now-Chinese territory, to which Beddingfield expressed a very unhappy reluctance. The officer concluded that some people have no sense of humor.

Captainofthe7th

Mr. Scratch -- per the appendix in the CST, you'll see Beddingfield's trail goes a bit cold on his 187th service, but having served with 3d Co continuously, if I recall it was August 1951 when they were dissolved and most men transferred to 187th in Japan, that should date your lid to this period. Definitely garrison/parade wear and absolutely beautiful with a strong connection to an incredible grouping.

Rob