What is it? Looks Naval to me, and early...

Chris

I posted this in the shoulder sleeve insignia area too, because I am not sure if it's a patch, a rate, or what? If that was a no-no, I apologize! I am at a total loss on this one. It is 4.5" top to bottom. Hand embroidered on a white canvas-like base - similar to, but slightly lighter than a sea bag type material. The embroidery is very nicely done. It is obviously old - guessing SAW - pre-WWII. The edges are folded on the reverse and it was clearly applied as a patch. The bird could be an eagle or osprey. It was found alone at a flea market, so no context or additional information. It definitely has a naval feel to me. Thanks for any help!

post-5831-0-28359300-1572810055.jpg

post-5831-0-15486300-1572810066.jpg

post-5831-0-80112000-1572810076.jpg

Thanks. I posted this on the Wermacht Awards site too. I agree, the colors seem similar to many Kriegsmarine insignia. Maybe an unofficial ship or sub insignia?

Thanks. I posted this on the Wermacht Awards site too. I agree, the colors seem similar to many Kriegsmarine insignia. Maybe an unofficial ship or sub insignia?

Remember, if it is old enough, the current color may not be what it started as. I have a number of WWI era USN rates in which the navy blue thread has oxidized/faded to gray.

post-132988-0-20921000-1572884496_thumb.jpg

Heres my point. In 50+ years of collecting and researching USN material culture, I have never seen any insignia resembling this piece. I do not believe it is any way, USN insignia.

That being said, it is hand embroidered. Could it have been something an individual did and was on a seabag? Maybe. That was very common up to the SpanAm War. A personal decoration on a piece of baggage or hammock.

But, it is not an item of USN insignia. I also, cant think of any other countries that use an eagle, as part of their insignia (yes,WW2 Germany, but they were very specific).

Just my opinion, and I very well could be wrong.

I think your feedback is spot-on. I actually think it is a osprey, as opposed to an eagle. I considered a sea bag adornment, and was sort of leaning that way. But the osprey, in a strike posture, made me think anti-submarine squadron logo or who knows? Based on the construction and look, it could very well date to the SAW period or WWI. It's just a baffling piece!

Not having served, I don't know about such things. But when I travel by plane I found that if I adorn my luggage with some of my dear daughter's fancy duct tape (I refuse to use her Justin Beiber tape), it sure makes it easier to spot my bags on the airport conveyor. If allowed, could this have had a similar purpose for a sea bag?

mikie

Not having served, I don't know about such things. But when I travel by plane I found that if I adorn my luggage with some of my dear daughter's fancy duct tape (I refuse to use her Justin Beiber tape), it sure makes it easier to spot my bags on the airport conveyor. If allowed, could this have had a similar purpose for a sea bag?

mikie

. For generations, embroidering personal touches on seabags was a common thing for Sailors of most Navies. Generally, it was things that had meaning to the Sailor, or just stuff he liked. Many surviving examples have ships, Mermaids, patriotic symbols and the like.

The practice died out around the SAW. By WW1, and WW2, painting art work on the seabag became the Thing. Pin up girls, service/ branch symbols, place names, unit insignia, all sorts of like items. Again, this Peters out by Korea, with mostly multiple stencils of name in various sizes and variations of black and white lettering ( white square with black letters, or the opposite. I generally went with my name in 2 inch letters on sides and back. Crossed Signal flags ( I was Navy SM). I had one that listed every port I visited.

Interestingly, there was a Minesweeper, USS Osprey, that served from 1919-1920. And another that served in WWII and was sunk in 1945. I think the style and materials of this patch are more consistent with the WWI era. I wonder if this was a seabag decoration or something for a sailor on the Osprey?

The Germans wore a variety of official and unofficial patches on their uniforms and caps, in both cloth and metal. One of my favorites was a DAK Luftwaffe cap, that my uncle brought home, with a cloth penguine squadron insignia on the side. Many German ships and submarines had unique insignia painted on the ship and worn as badges on the crews' caps, etc.

The Germans wore a variety of official and unofficial patches on their uniforms and caps, in both cloth and metal. One of my favorites was a DAK Luftwaffe cap, that my uncle brought home, with a cloth penguine squadron insignia on the side. Many German ships and submarines had unique insignia painted on the ship and worn as badges on the crews' caps, etc.

Yes, Im aware. My mom had a cousin who was DAK. Quite familiar with the U-Boat cap badges. But, not all that common to sit and make one.