• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ray42

Ray42
  • Members
    • Member ID: 193,671
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:27 PM

I found these today at a local antique store. The first is a Major General from the Pennsilvania National Guard, unfortunatly it was unnamed. I also found what I beleive are a set of Air Force dress uniforms for a brigadier General. Unfortunately these uniforms are also unnamed, but at least the White Ceremonial Dress uniform narrows down the time frame to 1983-1993. There was a 3rd mess dress with them that I might go back for if I am correct that these are genuine general uniforms. Any additional information or opinions are welcome because these uniforms are still not something I am familiar with researching or having. 

Attached Images

• Major General.png
  • brigider gen2.png

#2 Ray42

Ray42
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:32 PM

Intrestingly I got two different styles of Air Force boards, I really dont know what the difference is because they both apear the same otherwise with the same Meyer shield on both.

Attached Images

• brigader gen.png
  • gen board.png

#3 Ray42

Ray42
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:28 PM

Well after doing a little more research I found that neither Air Force uniform is a true general officers uniform, which makes me wonder if they are origional and the general simply added the new shoulder boards for his new rank when he was promoted. They were only 25$ so I dont nessisarilly think they were faked to deceive a collector because the shoulderboards seem to sell for about that much on eBay and the Cerimonial Whites appears to be a less common uniform to encounter. I am going to go back and check the final uniform tomorrow to see if it is for a general officer, but does anyone with knowledge of general uniforms have an opinion on whether these are put together?

Also out of curiosity is there any collector interest in unidentifiable general uniforms such as these? I picked them up figuring that as a beginner they would fill a hole in my collection until I could find a nicer example. 

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Edited by Ray42, 01 November 2019 - 09:33 PM.

#4 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 51,189
  • 14,176 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:39 PM

Excellent find!

#5 Ray42

Ray42
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:44 AM

Thanks I certainly thought so when I found them, but now I have some doubts about it and am just confused by the Air Force uniforms because they aren't the 3/4 inch braid meant for a general, yet they have the shoulder boards. Plus I have seen other examples that are named to generals that seem to only have the 1/2 inch braid.

If they are real I may have also found an ID, Brigadier General Dudley Smidt of the Iowa Air National Guard was promoted to general in 1985, which means that he would have had the normal officers uniform previously and I think he held that position until 1991 from records I could find. Given that he was in the area and the timeline fits with the white uniform being worn from 1983-93 he seems like a good guess. 

It is also kind of baffiling that im 4 jackets and 6 panks there are no names. Were the highest officers in our military not worried about losing their pants?

#6 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,335 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 05:34 AM

There is another thread about a USAF generals uniform. According to that thread, the USAF didnt use the wider braid until the mid-1990s. So, it looks like yours have a chance!

http://www.usmilitar...p/?fromsearch=1

Edited by BEAST, 01 December 2019 - 05:35 AM.

#7 Ray42

Ray42
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

Thanks Beast! Thats confusing that they all wore the same braid. 

#8 Ray42

Ray42
  • Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

Actually thanks a ton for that information, I think I discovered another Air Force general uniform hiding in my collection.  I had an officers uniform named to a Milnes, that I got from a salvation army last year and noted that there was a Brigider General Milnes.  I figured it couldn't be his because it had a narrow braid, but I just gave it a second look and the pin holes would line up nearly exactly with the uniform he is seen wearing in this picture:

https://www.af.mil/A...rd-c-milnes-ii/

Not really sure what information it would take to prove it was his but his obituary says he retired to Missouri, which means it is possible that it found its way to Iowa in the last 16 years

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users