Early Camillus USMC Engineer’s Folding Knife

Catfishcraig

After years of looking, I finally found a Camillus 4 blade USMC engineers folding knife. Its not in pristine condition but in good shape for its age. Most surprising, I was expecting it to have the three-line Camillus stamp on the blade as mentioned by Mike Silvey in his article published in the October 2007 edition of the Oregon Knife Collector Knewsletter (link below). Instead, it has the four-line stamp Camillus used on earlier military folders. Could this be an anomaly or did Camillus make an earlier USMC version of the engineers knife like that of the Army and Navy?

http://www.oregonknifeclub.com/Newsletter%200710.pdf

post-12393-0-83364800-1572538902_thumb.jpeg

post-12393-0-46383200-1572538948_thumb.jpeg

First congratulations on getting that U.S.M.C. marked engineers knife. Regardless of the manufacture they tend to be rather rare to come across. The four line tang stamp is the one I'd most likely expect to see on one of these knives. Also with the brass liners I'd think it was most likely made just before or early in our actual war production. While we do see brass liners returning to the manufacture of at least some pocket knives towards the end of the war that would remain a possibility also.

First congratulations on getting that U.S.M.C. marked engineers knife. Regardless of the manufacture they tend to be rather rare to come across. The four line tang stamp is the one I'd most likely expect to see on one of these knives. Also with the brass liners I'd think it was most likely made just before or early in our actual war production. While we do see brass liners returning to the manufacture of at least some pocket knives towards the end of the war that would remain a possibility also.

Thank you for the kind comment and the additional information!

Craig