Help to ID these WWI Puttees / Leg Wraps w/ Brass Tag?

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello all,

I picked these Leg Wraps up a while ago and just noticed the only markings on them is a small brass tag with the letter "R" stamped in it. I'm not sure if this would be a manufacture marking or maybe a soldier initial or ???

Or is there a chance these are actually British?

Very heavy wool.

Thanks for any help.

Troy

post-33000-0-49021800-1572188432.jpg post-33000-0-51254100-1572188449.jpg

post-33000-0-33259300-1572188475.jpg post-33000-0-15735500-1572188507.jpg

The 'R' might just be to label it as a right and not a left puttee. Most of the sets I have are ink stamped with an 'R' or 'L'. Doe both have the brass tag, or only the one?

I've got some UK ones, but nothing about these stands out as being UK over US. There were a ton of variations of these during WWI, plus they kept using them into the 1930s too.

Should have mentioned that these were an issue item, but also available through civilian sellers. So it could even be private purchase or non-military (but regulation style).

The 'R' might just be to label it as a right and not a left puttee. Most of the sets I have are ink stamped with an 'R' or 'L'. Doe both have the brass tag, or only the one?

I've got some UK ones, but nothing about these stands out as being UK over US. There were a ton of variations of these during WWI, plus they kept using them into the 1930s too.

Am I missing something, every pair of these I have seen, no matter what country they are from, have just been a long straight strip of cloth with a tie on one end. What is the difference between left and right?

USMC-RECON0321

I thought of that at first, but No they are both marked with an "R". I would also think that would seem to be a very expensive way to mark a Left and a Right if they did indeed need to do that?

Thanks

USMC-RECON0321

Am I missing something, every pair of these I have seen, no matter what country they are from, have just been a long straight strip of cloth with a tie on one end. What is the difference between left and right?

I was thinking the same thing, how or why would there be a difference??