• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CWCollector

CWCollector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 181,413
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:02 PM

I know this is probably a long shot but my father's house was broken into and his military items among many other things were stolen. They stole his service greens and utility/fatigues with R.J. William's stamped inside, his MP web belt with 1911 holster and leather magazine pouches, his service medals including a rifle marksman medal and others that I cannot recall, personal correspondence letters were also taken along with his service duffle bag. We would love to recover these items if at all possible. These items have much more sentimental value to my family than the thieves could ever hope to get selling them. If anybody has any knowledge of these items being sold in or around the Columbus, Ohio area I would appreciate it if you could message me to let me know. We just want to recover the items, no questions asked.

#2 Phantomf4

Phantomf4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,748
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

Hate to say this but I think I'd start with someone you know or a friend of a friend. For them to specifically take that they know what it is, your average meth head don't know much about that stuff.

Hone in on some that

1. you told about the stuff

2. knew no one was home

3. someone who there interest was peeked when told about it.

4. family members.

#3 Phantomf4

Phantomf4
  • Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:37 PM

Also, where did he keep it?

did they take anything else?

has there been some one who's been wanting it?

To me with the info you supplied smells like a inside job. Mostly because and don't get offended because I'm not trying to offend you is the stuff you mentioned don't have tons of money value.

#4 CWCollector

CWCollector
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

Unfortunately they cleaned out anything of value in the house. My parents were away for an extended period of time and, we believe, the thieves had several days inside grabbing anything they thought had value. The also stole somewhere in the neighborhood of thousands of dollars in tools and electronics, muzzleloaders, paintings, etc. We originally assumed it to be an inside job for the reasons you mentioned but the neighbors saw people carrying stuff out of the house and when they approached them the thieves said they were paid by "Uncle John" to clean out the house. The neighbors didn't recognize the people and there is no "Uncle John". I thought about buying replacements for the uniform items since, as you said, they are not very valuable but it would not be the same. For the few bucks the thieves may get selling the stuff it has cost my parents so much more in emotional and sentimental loss. My parents are not in good health and now they do not feel safe in their own home. We will probably never see any of the items again and they may never feel the same in their home.

#5 Phantomf4

Phantomf4
  • Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:05 PM

I hate to hear that, but somehow they knew nobody was home. I hope you find the stuff.

#6 Phantomf4

Phantomf4
  • Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:05 PM

wasn't home I meant.

#7 CWCollector

CWCollector
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

Thank you Phantomf4. It could still be an inside job as you said so I will be sure to look into that more. The whole thing makes me sad and angry all at the same time, the electronics and tools can be replaced. It's really the irreplaceable items, that have no value to anybody but the family, and the emotional turmoil it caused my parents knowing somebody invaded their "safe" home that upsets me the most. I was hoping to at least bring back the uniform items since they were one of the things my father was most upset over but I don't think we will ever see anything that was taken again.

#8 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

Will keep my eyes open at MAPS tomorrow. Might want to hit the Scott antique show at the state fairgrounds on black Friday, too.

#9 Phantomf4

Phantomf4
  • Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

Ok more questions

1. any body work on the house recently? contractors etc. etc.

2. Your neighbor surely knows you dad's name, why would someone cleaning out the house not be suspicious? If there's no uncle John

I don't believe this is a random incident.

#10 CWCollector

CWCollector
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:48 AM

Thank you Garandomatic. I really appreciate it, hopefully it will turn up somewhere and we will be able to recover some of the items at least.

#11 CWCollector

CWCollector
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:00 AM

As far as I know nobody has worked on the house, my dad always insisted on doing everything himself since he was very particular about how things are done.

The neighbor that approached the people in the house has been a very close family friend for decades. When he approached the thieves in the act and they told him they were cleaning it out for Uncle John he said he knows the owner and was going to call him. When he said this the people took off. He immediately called the police and my father but they were long gone.

#12 Phantomf4

Phantomf4
  • Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 07:37 AM

Well hopefully it'll turn up and you catch these people.

#13 JasonT

JasonT
  • Members
    • Member ID: 154,340
  • 764 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

I feel horrible for you and your parents and can only imagine what they are going through. I hope the best for them and that they are able to get some of the stuff back or at least catch the thieves. 

#14 Skysoldier80

Skysoldier80
  • Members
    • Member ID: 215,372
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:54 AM

That is what I was going to say.

Ok more questions
1. any body work on the house recently? contractors etc. etc.
2. Your neighbor surely knows you dad's name, why would someone cleaning out the house not be suspicious? If there's no uncle John

I don't believe this is a random incident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users