Vietnam Period Flashlight-Check

Edelweisse

Hi Folks:

I found this flashlight in a flea market and based upon my "limited" knowledge of Vietnam period field gear...I "think" this flashlight is Vietnam period since there are no "guards" protecting the switch. But...the maker is "TAESUNG Flashlight" Model# DT-109/S....which appears to be Korean...but I'm sure that contracts were awarded to other countries for military items....but...Would this be used in Vietnam?

post-153915-0-88830600-1572113634_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-43707500-1572113647_thumb.jpg

From what I know of flashlights you want to get an example which is marked as a MX-212/U without the guards. One of the manufactures I have is Bright Star although I am sure there are others. There were also MX-991/Us but to be honest I don't know what the difference was.

I do also own a flashlight that I found and it is a "MX991/U" which was first issued to military personnel during the Vietnam war (see attached picture)…..but for me...I recall the tell-tale sign of a late period flashlight vs. a post-Vietnam period flashlight.....was the lack of a switch guard. I'm sure that there are other manufacturers that made these flashlights.

post-153915-0-59380600-1572117272_thumb.jpg

So.....is this "TAESUNG" Model# DT-109/S flashlight Vietnam period design due to the lack of the switch guards? I have invested approx. $3.75 into it....but for us collectors...I would like to know...for info purposes….since I thought the lack of those guards signified Vietnam period...1960s-70s...when later models have guards on both sides of the switch for protection. Or am I confused...or lacking info..? (smile) Thank you,

I guess it could be considered a Vietnam era flashlight but I am not aware of a US flashlight contract of that type. Teasung, was founded in 1971 so it would have to be used 71 or later.

• 2 weeks later...

My flashlight I had in Vietnam(70-71) is a Fulton MX-993/U ,no switch guards and is straight and gray in color.I think I got this one in flight school.