Unknown (to me) small caliber artillery shell

wartimecollectables.com

Wonder if it's a type of sabot round?.....Something that would have been used during the civil war?....The narrow band on the bottom acting as the drive band inside a grooved barrel?....Those however were solid on the bottom and filled with an explosive material.....European countries used them as well...Bodes

wartimecollectables.com

Interesting thought. I'm familiar with the CW Federal and CSA Sabots but not any others. By construction would be post Civil War and it does appear more 'European' than American.

Interesting thought. I'm familiar with the CW Federal and CSA Sabots but not any others. By construction would be post Civil War and it does appear more 'European' than American.

US Civil war sabot rounds were generally made of cast iron....The drive bands being made of copper or wrought iron....

Of course, it may be a shop project or type of finial....What's the story behind it?....Bodes

wartimecollectables.com

US Civil war sabot rounds were generally made of cast iron....The drive bands being made of copper or wrought iron....

Of course, it may be a shop project or type of finial....What's the story behind it?....Bodes

Agreed, not CW, and thinking it might be European. No 'history' that lends any clues. It actually came with a collection of antique toys I just bought but it's certainly not you related!? Only other piece of militaria was a cut away M1 rifle. You never know what will show up in a collection!

The projo has no driving band. Not an authentic projectile. Looks soldered in place. The headcase rim very thick, looks like a Bofors case cut down. Bubba spent some time on this one.

wartimecollectables.com

The projo has no driving band. Not an authentic projectile. Looks soldered in place. The headcase rim very thick, looks like a Bofors case cut down. Bubba spent some time on this one.

Sorry that any discussion of armament leaves me lost. Why someone "Bubba" or whoever would put effort into this?

I was merely using the term driving band in lieu of sabot, figuring more people would better understand what I was trying to convey.....

The OP and myself agreeing it doesn't conform to known CW sabot rounds...Bodes

In my opinion,you have a fantasy piece that someone put a lot of effort into modifying into something. All artillery projectiles have driving bands, this has none. Not an authentic piece of ordnance. Just my 2c.

wartimecollectables.com

In my opinion,you have a fantasy piece that someone put a lot of effort into modifying into something. All artillery projectiles have driving bands, this has none. Not an authentic piece of ordnance. Just my 2c.

And when it comes to ordnance that's 2 cents more than I know.