• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GF97

GF97
  • Members
    • Member ID: 161,700
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:37 PM

I have stumbled across a presentation XC serialized M1 Carbine and have heard through the grape vine that there is a list out there of who the rifles were presented to. I know the one reference book was written by Max Hayward, but it seems to be pretty well impossible to find. If anyone is aware of where I could get the list or if anyone has it I would appreciate some input. Seems to be kind of difficult to find any information past the fact that is was a presentation piece made for someone at General Motors Corp.

#2 SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

SGT CHIP SAUNDERS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 225,108
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:50 PM

SOME TIMES  awarded to company execs, r and D people or even political people .   have seen a few, one was factoryplated

Keep us in the loop

#3 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

GF97:

Yes, I understand that the original Hayward book, written by a guy who was once an engineer at Inland, is now pretty much unobtanium.

Nonetheless, you might want to post your question over on the Carbine Club forum, where the M1 Carbine guys now hang out with the demise of the Club itself.  Here is the link:  http://www.uscarbine...rum/forums.html

There are a lot of very well informed M1 Carbine collectors over there, some of whom are members here as well, who can probably answer your question.

Would you mind posting a pic or two of your Carbine here?  Sounds interesting, and we all like to see nice examples.

Regards,

Charlie 

#4 aznation

aznation

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 97,747
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

Here's a link to some information about the XC M1 Carbines that might help you, but I'm not sure.

https://www.milsurps...ead.php?t=42604

#5 GF97

GF97
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:17 PM

Right Side

Attached Images

• IMG_1762.JPG

#6 GF97

GF97
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

Left

Attached Images

• IMG_1763.JPG

#7 GF97

GF97
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

Barrel

Attached Images

• IMG_1764.JPG

#8 GF97

GF97
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:21 PM

And the serial number. The entire rifle is Inland minus the oiler and sling, which must have been added later. Clean and original! Just noticed the C almost looks like a G in the photo. It is definitely a C.

Attached Images

• IMG_1767.JPG

Edited by GF97, 23 October 2019 - 05:25 PM.

#9 usmcdoc67

usmcdoc67
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 228,512
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:37 AM

The "x" series were ranged from X through XG and numbers 1-100.  More information can be found in War Baby Vol 1 and Carbine Club news letters. 

#10 illinigander

illinigander
  • Members
    • Member ID: 168,596
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 05:21 PM

In the late 1950's we went to the gun club with a friends M-1 carbine and fired off all the ammo we had.  Dumb.  The friends father was the factory manager for Quality Hardware and at the close of the WW2 carbine  contract he was given this example as a gift.  It was mint and unfired till his son and I got it.  50 years later I visited the sons widow and saw the same QH carbine.  It never recieved a serial number.  She had a lot of factory photos and letters relating to the production and the Chicago Ordnance District.  She gave me the stuff to copy and it made an interesting look into WW2 production.  I showed it to several people at the Baltimore show but the next step never happened.  The family kept the M-1 for the grandkids.

Illinigander

#11 dalbert

dalbert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,815
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:58 PM

In the late 1950's we went to the gun club with a friends M-1 carbine and fired off all the ammo we had.  Dumb.  The friends father was the factory manager for Quality Hardware and at the close of the WW2 carbine  contract he was given this example as a gift.  It was mint and unfired till his son and I got it.  50 years later I visited the sons widow and saw the same QH carbine.  It never recieved a serial number.  She had a lot of factory photos and letters relating to the production and the Chicago Ordnance District.  She gave me the stuff to copy and it made an interesting look into WW2 production.  I showed it to several people at the Baltimore show but the next step never happened.  The family kept the M-1 for the grandkids.

Illinigander

Illinigander,

Do you still have copies of the factory photos and letters?

David Albert

[email protected]

#12 illinigander

illinigander
  • Members
    • Member ID: 168,596
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:42 PM

Yes dalbert- I refound the 3-ring binder, been awhile since I had looked at it.  Needed a memory refresh.

Ken

#13 Ray42

Ray42
  • Members
    • Member ID: 193,671
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

That is a very attractive rifle, I love how it is a transitional rifle showing both mid and late war features such as the graduated sight without a bayonate catch. The fact that it is a presentation rifle is just icing on the cake. Congrats. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users