Sub and Submarine Chaser Clasps

liveww2

Just curious. I've seen a lot of "Sub Chaser" clasps for the WWI victory medal but, not so many "Submarine Chaser" clasps. Is one more scarce than the other and why the variation?

post-105746-0-04276600-1571801718.jpg

Hello,

Your World War I Victory has three clasps that are not original clasps. All three clasps where made during the 1960's in Baltimore, Maryland for the collectors market. The easiest way to spot these clasps is their pebbled background. The Navy never had any country clasp produced so the "ENGLAND" and "FRANCE" are pure fantasy pieces. The same goes for the "SUBMARINE CHASER" clasp. After World War I the Navy did issue clasps for "SUBCHASER" and "SUB CHASER". Both clasps are relatively hard to find. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Collecting WW1 Victories with Army and Navy clasps can be a fun and interesting part of medal collecting. History abounds! I suggest you invest in the book, "World War I Victory Medals" by James P. Michels Jr. Good photographs, excellent research.

Please don't be discouraged by the reproductions. Soon, you'll be able to spot them. I went through this phase as well and consider it a down payment for a good working knowledge of this genre. BTW, there is a pinned thread on these clasps here on the Forum. I don't have time now to find it for you now but you can find it here on the medals forum. Good luck and good hunting!

Thank you for the advice and tips. I will defiantly pick up that book. Fortunately, this was just a small part of a grouping I picked up which had 23 of the clasps, all different mounted on three medals. Obviously no one earned ALL of them so I figured someone just colleceted them, just didn't figure 1968 rather than 1918!. But, what a beautiful bronze tone they have! Thanks again.

Thank you for the advice and tips. I will defiantly pick up that book. Fortunately, this was just a small part of a grouping I picked up which had 23 of the clasps, all different mounted on three medals. Obviously no one earned ALL of them so I figured someone just colleceted them, just didn't figure 1968 rather than 1918!. But, what a beautiful bronze tone they have! Thanks again.

The styling of the lettering was a dead give away! The real ones don't look like that! Hopefully you didn't get burned too bad!

• 3 weeks later...

There are one or two other things to keep in mind when dealing with bars. Sometime in the 1920's, I believe, there were a number of bars that were produced in France. These are generally, but not always, stamped "FRANCE" or "MADE IN FRANCE" on the back of the clasp or ribbon slide. I have read and been told by other collectors that these were primarily for the veterans market. Anyway just about all of the ones I have seen or managed to obtain were Navy bars done up in army fashion, but without the spacer at either end. Among these are "Submarine Chaser" and "Submarine-Chasers". Secondly, some of the clasps, both army and navy, are being reproduced today. I have one in my collection that has two prongs on the back that appear to be attached with epoxy. There are also some army service bars that appear to be made of a metal the color of gun metal. These appear to be slightly smaller than the period pieces. I will close with the observation that collecting the US Victory medal is never dull. Just when you think you know everything some previously unknow bit of info can surface.