Anybody know anything about '50's lighters?

FTLewisBrat

Have the opportunity to pick up this lighter, it's not something I typically collect and I really don't know much about them.

Apprehensive about getting into a lighter with all the fakes out there.

Marked like it comes from 1950's era SCARWAF 802d Engineer Aviation Battalion, Headquarters & Service.

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks, Rick

post-108940-0-62442100-1571772480.png

post-108940-0-24942100-1571772510.png

it's probably original. Most of the fakes are Vietnam era and tend to be "cool" units like recon or Special Forces. Plus most from the 1950s lighters don't have a huge collectors base, so they aren't worth as much, which means less people fake them.

Good points, thanks.

Any ideas on value... I think I can pick it up for about $23 shipped. I don't think that's cheap, but, would I be able to get my money back out of it?

If it's not a Zippo which means not a copy, but my experience with non-Zippo military lighters it that they're only worth a few bucks, typically $10-15 plus or minus.This is at the high end of prices so I'd suggest strating with a unit you have some interest in already, or that has some unit with a great history

I see, I suppose if it was a Zippo there would be more value there.

Since I don't have a particular connection or interest with the subject of the lighter I'll probably pass. I was only going to pick it up because I thought it might be a good deal, thanks for helping me out.