5 replies to this topic

#1 ken88

ken88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 48,105
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:08 AM

Hey,

I finally decided to put this helmet net (with band type) on a helmet. I like it a lot, but was wondering if the elastic/neoprene band is fail-safe? Can age affect the elasticity and if so how long can it stay on? Was thinking about leaving it on for a long time... 

Thanks!

Best regards

Ken

m44net.jpg

m44net2.jpg

#2 917601

• Members
    • Member ID: 180,924
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:18 PM

I have my old jump helmet from 1977, the band has lost all elasticity. It sits fine, but will easily fall off if turned up side down.

#3 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

Well an original WWII one will be like a iron band, is yours a WWII Band?

#4 ken88

ken88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 48,105
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:10 PM

To my knowledge it is a WWII band. I still have the original WWII cardboard tag with instructions. It is tied to the net in the back and like you say is extremely stiff, so stiff you almost need a special tool to make it fit on a helmet kind of stiff, which is exactly why I am asking. I'm worried there's so much pressure it might snap because of the effort it took to get it on. But I presume these bands are so well made snapping won't be a problem. However, I'm worried that over time the elasticity that is left in it will be gone and the band will have taken the shape of the helmet.  

#5 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:47 AM

I dont think your band will snap it will just stretch itself out and lose its elasticity and eventually fit loosely, not a totally bad thing as it will still fit on the helmet for display no problem.....mike

#6 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:12 AM

To my knowledge it is a WWII band. I still have the original WWII cardboard tag with instructions. It is tied to the net in the back and like you say is extremely stiff, so stiff you almost need a special tool to make it fit on a helmet kind of stiff, which is exactly why I am asking. I'm worried there's so much pressure it might snap because of the effort it took to get it on. But I presume these bands are so well made snapping won't be a problem. However, I'm worried that over time the elasticity that is left in it will be gone and the band will have taken the shape of the helmet.  

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users