WWII US 10" M1 GARAND BAYONET

Mappa

Greg Robinson

Very nice. Being so clean looking there's a chance it's from their 1953 production run but there's no way to know about this. However, the 1953 production M7 scabbard is different from the WW2 one. Look underneath the metal throat for either a B N or Vp stamp. BN indicates WW2 and Vp is 1953.

Greg

Very nice. Being so clean looking there's a chance it's from their 1953 production run but there's no way to know about this. However, the 1953 production M7 scabbard is different from the WW2 one. Look underneath the metal throat for either a B N or Vp stamp. BN indicates WW2 and Vp is 1953.

Greg

Is it just UC that had a 53 production run? Is there any info on how many were made in '53? I need to buy a book. :blink:

Greg Robinson
Is it just UC that had a 53 production run? Is there any info on how many were made in '53? I need to buy a book. :blink:

So far as anybody knows they'er the only contractor which made a post WW2 M1. I assume it was to replace those lost in Korea. As to production numbers, Frank Trzaska or "bayonetman" may have those figures....but I don't.

Greg

The following courtesy of Frank Trzaska, Knife Knotes, November 2006 on http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/knife_knotes_12.htm . Another letter located by Frank indicates that an overrun of 2,549 was accepted. To date, I have not seen anything that would allow us to tell the difference between WW2 production and 1953 production.

Utica Cutlery Co. M1 Bayonet Production

A document has been located in the National Archives that confirms that Utica Cutlery did receive a contract for 75,000 M1 bayonets in 1953. The contract, DA-19-058-ORD-7440 was let for Bayonet M1, Items Stock No. B001-7312034, Ordnance No. 20-2B-54 on Production Order No. S66-53. The quantity indicated above represents the total to be produced under that contract without run-ons.

Production was to be at a rate of 15,000 per month beginning in June 1953. There was the possibility of a partial shipment to be made in May from the manufacturers. This was in a letter from the Rochester Ordnance District dated May 5, 1953, Deputy District Chief by his assistant James D. Finn. The letter was filed under O.O. 474.1 / 109 for those so interested to follow up on it. It was found in RG156 / 390 / 23 / 21 / 02 Box A1260 Tabbed. It also had a 1st Ind with it to the Commanding Officer of the Rock Island Arsenal . They requested the Rochester Ord District be furnished with shipping instruction for the items being procured from Utica Cutlery Company. They also requested that shipments be in truck lots so as not to overstock any one depot, If a depot was to be overloaded the extra quantities would be stored at RIA and or some other reserve depot in the Rochester Ord District area of responsibility. This letter was also part of the 474.1 / 109 file and dated May 25, 1953. This is somewhat peculiar as the production sounds like it was just for the Rochester district area but when you consider they encompass the Rock Island Arsenal it becomes apparent that they were the ones getting the orders for bayonets they could not fill.

So we have the contract, the order and the shipping instructions, what we lack is any photo or documentation of what the markings were to be. Did they just use the same standard WW II dies from storage or were there different markings?

I have one of those bayonets. Just as mint and clean. I hadn't known they made some during Korea. This turns out OK cause my Son's Garand is Korean era Harrington-Richardson so it will go nicely with the bayonet. The only marking on the scabbard is REP which I thought meant Repo. Robert

Greg Robinson
I have one of those bayonets. Just as mint and clean. I hadn't known they made some during Korea. This turns out OK cause my Son's Garand is Korean era Harrington-Richardson so it will go nicely with the bayonet. The only marking on the scabbard is REP which I thought meant Repo. Robert

I've seen that REP mark on WW2 M3 scabbards that had been cut down to become an M7.

I've seen that REP mark on WW2 M3 scabbards that had been cut down to become an M7.

Thanks for that info. But I would have thought tha the WWII markings would still be there also. But I will take your word on that as Your knowledge is much more than mine. Robert

Greg Robinson
Thanks for that info. But I would have thought tha the WWII markings would still be there also. But I will take your word on that as Your knowledge is much more than mine. Robert

The "cutdown" scabbard I'm referring to has the Ordnance "flaming bomb" and "US" on the front of the metal throat PLUS the "REP" stamp. You say yours is totally unmarked but for the "REP" stamp? That would be odd.

The "cutdown" scabbard I'm referring to has the Ordnance "flaming bomb" and "US" on the front of the metal throat PLUS the "REP" stamp. You say yours is totally unmarked but for the "REP" stamp? That would be odd.

I'm sorry. When I stated no other markings I meant little maker marks under the throat. It has the US and Flaming marks. My fault for not being more precise in my response

It should have both marks, one on each side. It does indicate that the scabbard has been shortened from M3 to M7 length. I suppose it is not impossible that one got through initial production without the B x/x N marks.

6-08.jpg

It should have both marks, one on each side. It does indicate that the scabbard has been shortened from M3 to M7 length. I suppose it is not impossible that one got through initial production without the B x/x N marks.

6-08.jpg

Checked it again real close. REP is it. Thanks again for all the info. Now I know that I probably have a Korean production bayonet with cutdown scabbard. More than I knew this morning. Robert

If you take the grips off, I would appreciate knowing how each is marked. It is probable that the 1953 production used new made grips, and possibly not marked the same as the WW2.

Greg

Mine got the Vp stamp on the scabbard

Regards

Mats

If you take the grips off, I would appreciate knowing how each is marked. It is probable that the 1953 production used new made grips, and possibly not marked the same as the WW2.

One side AB over P9. The other AB over 6