WWII 3rd ID helmet with heart

NKina91

Hey everyone. This helmet came out of a lot of helmets here in Maryland that were all stacked together. Today I put my little photo studio together for photographing helmets so I figured I would start with this one. I have seen some period photos of an invasion with the 3rd ID having their helmets painted with the different suits on the back. I have heard this was operation dragoon or Anzio italy. Does anyone have any info on these? Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Nick

post-2204-0-74902800-1571092806_thumb.jpg

post-2204-0-74786100-1571092866_thumb.jpg

First of all, amazing helmet! That is a great find, I've always wanted one of those!

Yes, these helmets were used primarily for Operation Dragoon, but there has been some discussion that they may have been used in Italy as well. The card suit markings were used by the 7th Infantry Regiment to denote the three battalions (plus HQ).

This thread covers off on more of the detail, and has some beautiful examples.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/96088-us-7th-infantry-regiment-helmet-markings-1944/

Again, amazing helmet, thank you for sharing!

Thank you for the info!

First of all, amazing helmet! That is a great find, I've always wanted one of those!

Yes, these helmets were used primarily for Operation Dragoon, but there has been some discussion that they may have been used in Italy as well. The card suit markings were used by the 7th Infantry Regiment to denote the three battalions (plus HQ).

This thread covers off on more of the detail, and has some beautiful examples.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/96088-us-7th-infantry-regiment-helmet-markings-1944/

Again, amazing helmet, thank you for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...
mccauslandpara1944

What an amazing find! Yes, m1s with those markings were used by the 3rd Infantry Division during Operation Dragoon. I am still looking for the right 3rd ID helmet to add to my collection, but I have not found it yet.