• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WW2 History Buff

WW2 History Buff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,136
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

A while back i stripped an ugly m1 helmet down to the steel and then i bought some cork and U.S. army olive drab and spray painted it and sprinkled some cork and resprayed and it looks horrible, can i do anything with this technique or is there something im missing? Please inform me!
Thanks, Haydn

#2 Mk1rceme

Mk1rceme
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,940
  • 543 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

The helmets were spun on a jig to get an even coat...seen it on an old video somewhere.

#3 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 633
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

A while back i stripped an ugly m1 helmet down to the steel and then i bought some cork and U.S. army olive drab and spray painted it and sprinkled some cork and resprayed and it looks horrible, can i do anything with this technique or is there something im missing? Please inform me!
Thanks, Haydn

I refurbished (3) M1 helmets with Scooter this past summer, The best technique i found is you need to find a Plastic Bowl .. Preferably a COOL WHIP bowl or something like it.

Then, we used a knife or Ice Pick and "Poked Holes" in HALF of the bowl. This way you can use the "Shake" or "Sprinkle" effect. like a flour sifter.

Good Luck !!

Carey

#4 WW2 History Buff

WW2 History Buff
  • Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

Thanks a bunch for the replies i will have to try that penny, and i love your name, and i love that line in Band of Brothers :D

#5 gunbunny

gunbunny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,481
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

I grind up cork in a blender then run it through a sieve. Try to get the granules as small as possible. I use a salt shaker to apply the cork to wet paint. When dry apply another coat of paint. Another tip is to hit the dry cork with sandpaper. This will keep the cork from looking too "new" and if your just filling in some bare patches will make it blend in with the original.

#6 pathfinder505

pathfinder505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 197
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:35 AM

I dont know if this is true or not. I have heard that you could add sand to the paint and get the same effect.

#7 m.c.lilley

m.c.lilley
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 7,193
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

My korean era helmets feel like sand. The wwII helmets feel like sawdust. m.c.lilley

#8 fortworthgal

fortworthgal
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,679
  • 654 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:11 AM

I have recorked a few M-1s and it can be done successfully. The WWII helmets used cork - sand was a later finish and wouldn't be correct for WWII. I agree that finding a way to sprinkle the cork dust works best, rather than trying to either roll the helmet in it, or toss it on there randomly. A flour sifter works very nicely.

Also, you need to grind your cork up very finely - and I mean VERY finely. The pieces that look small to you after you're done grinding it will look ginormous when they're on your helmet, so it needs to be almost a sand-like texture. I speak from experience. :)

#9 Peace

Peace
  • Members
    • Member ID: 132
  • 767 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

I use a different approach.

First I paint the outside, inside comes later
I position the helmet on a broomstick stuck in a vice. I do it that way to be able to move the helmet around, to have a more or less flat surface to drop the cork on.

I then spray a first coat on the shell, fairly thick, and while the paint is wet, I use a big chunk of cork from an arts & crafts store wich I sand down while holding it over the helmet shell. The sanded particles fall on the helmet, all of them, big & small, doesnt matter. I move the shell around untill all areas are covered in a satisfactory way. In reality the helmet is now very much overdone with cork. It looks like crap.
I now wait about 20mins to half an hour, depending on how fast the paint dries. Then I use a very large clean& dry soft brush to wipe off all the cork that didnt stick. Thats about 90% of the cork. If there a some bald patches I repeat the process locally.
Once a uniform appearance is attained, I respray the helmet with several coats of paint, till I am satisfied. It should be sprayed in a way that all of the cork absorbs as much paint as possible.

Thats it. And here is a picture to prove it works.

militaria_110.jpg

Regards,
Stijn

#10 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:16 PM

Wow!...I am totally NOT a fan of re-corked helmets but that one looks good!...and hopefully it stays in the re-enactor world!! .mike

Edited by sgtdorango, 16 July 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#11 WW2 History Buff

WW2 History Buff
  • Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

Peace thank you for that detailed how-to! Thanks to everyone that has helped. When i have time i will have to post how it turns out!

Haydn

#12 Constabulary

Constabulary
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,069
  • 594 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

I wonder what FS number the pain has to be.
I mean M1 shell and liner have different shades so what shade of paint do you take for them? :w00t:

#13 bfryar44

bfryar44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 90
  • 782 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:46 AM

BTW, some of you guys may want to check into this guys paint. I've seen this stuff up close and it looks very, very good.

http://www.tm9ordnance.com/

Bryan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users