4 replies to this topic

#1 crazyfingers

crazyfingers
  • Members
    • Member ID: 260,284
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

I would like to say hi.

I registered here because my son ran into this excellent topic  http://www.usmilitar...-and-a-sampson/ on my Great Grandfather Shane and my Grandfather Shane.

I've had an on and off interest in furthering the genealogy that I had already received from my great uncle and from a far distant relative. Most recently I and my kids have been learning more about my great grandfather. And sadly only this past August my father died and I am now the keeper of various family Naval items and documents to save for future generations.

I posted photos in the topic above of some of the items I am now responsible for keeping safe.

I have always had an interest in WWI and WWI from the naval side. I expect that comes from my family history.

I expect that I'll be posting photos in the appropriate forums to help me to identify and understand context of various Naval antiques passed down in the family to me.

I expect also that at some point I will need to transport the antique firearms from my parent's house to mine. I will almost certainly want to contact my local police to find out if I need to get a permit to keep them. And to do that I will want to know what they all are.

Here is another example of an item that I am now responsible for keeping for family posterity.

Attached Images

• 2019 10 05 12 56 02 a.jpg

#2 TexRdnec

TexRdnec
  • Members
    • Member ID: 177,091
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:46 PM

howdy

that's a 30-40 krag

model of 1898, I believe.  if it's a real carbine it's rather rare but I have no idea what the market is for these rifles.  I have a krag rifle that was cut down into a carbine but I understand that not many actual carbines were made.

#3 AustinO

AustinO
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,941
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:23 PM

If the other firearms are like that, or handguns, in most states it is no issue to transport unloaded as long as they are in the rear/trunk and cased (like in the case you have shown).  Usually pretty easy to find any specific regulations online, vs needing to contact the locals. 

#4 crazyfingers

crazyfingers
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

howdy

that's a 30-40 krag

model of 1898, I believe.  if it's a real carbine it's rather rare but I have no idea what the market is for these rifles.  I have a krag rifle that was cut down into a carbine but I understand that not many actual carbines were made.

I don't know carbine or not. I'm pretty sure it's standard issue for Spanish American war. Whatever that would be.

But I'll be posting a bunch in the right forum...once I figure out what one that is....

Thanks

Edited by crazyfingers, 11 October 2019 - 04:52 PM.

#5 crazyfingers

crazyfingers
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:54 PM

If the other firearms are like that, or handguns, in most states it is no issue to transport unloaded as long as they are in the rear/trunk and cased (like in the case you have shown).  Usually pretty easy to find any specific regulations online, vs needing to contact the locals. 

Altogether there are 5 guns that I expect are at least a hundred years old. But I'll see what folks here can tell me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users