Opinions on these 1/2" nets?

Nickman983

Picked up a few more nets, would like to hear peoples thoughts on them.

First two I believe are the same (came from the same seller). The third one is a different color.

With the first two nets I have a bit of a hard time getting the liner in due to the excess netting. With the third net there is a decent amount of excess netting but it is stiff enough that I can manipulate it to where the net and liner are both snug.

First net on a helmet

post-169952-0-02370800-1570749987.jpg

post-169952-0-37770000-1570750089.jpg

yes, I meant to say 1/4" nets. The first two were supposed to be 1/2" nets but the seller sent 1/4" instead which I guess messed me up when making this thread.

In any case, all 3 look original then?

I would think so although I've seen incredible repros. UV and burn testing the net (small piece of thread) may provide significant clues. I once tested a fake German net by going over it with a UV light. It had been bleached and some areas lit up like a Christmas tree.

Perhaps the most significant clue is the smell. Originals will have that very distinct oily smell that leaves little room for doubt.

Good point about the smell Ken. All 3 still have that really strong odor. My only concern with these nets is really if they were period or if they were post war clones. Based on what I'm seeing I'm fairly certain that these are period.

That last one looks a little fuzzy , which I believe Is a characteristic of post war . Im far from an authority on these and am Interested to see what the more knowledgable guys say .

That last one looks a little fuzzy , which I believe Is a characteristic of post war . Im far from an authority on these and am Interested to see what the more knowledgable guys say .

From what I've read, during ww2 the British nets were treated with some type of agent to prevent them from rotting, they are typically more heavy and stiff.

Good point about the smell Ken. All 3 still have that really strong odor. My only concern with these nets is really if they were period or if they were post war clones. Based on what I'm seeing I'm fairly certain that these are period.

There were so many of these nets made during WW2 that there were still large stockpiles of them. The British Army were still using them up to around the 60s. There were no post-war examples made.