Combat fatigues 4/31 196th LIB

Cpl. Punishment

Cpl. Punishment

Hello All,

Recently, I was given the great privilege of becoming the caretaker of Sgt. Douglas Doug Blacks items from his service in Vietnam. Doug served overseas from 1966-1967 in Tay Ninh Province, Vietnam. He was a recipient of the BSM with V device.

Citation:

Exposing himself to enemy fire on many occasions to direct the squads fire, Black noticed one of his men had been bitten by a poisonous snake. Jeopardizing his own safety he ran to the man, killed the snake, administered first aid and carried the man to the rear for evacuation.

Both men displayed outstanding courage, heroic action and devotion to fellow soldiers reflecting high honor for both themselves and the traditions of the U.S. Army.

I have received most of Sgt. Blacks directly from the family, and will be displaying them at my various traveling displays in my home town. It is also interesting to note that he brought back a pair of ho chi min sandals! Dougs daughter told me he never spoke much of his time in combat, but that when she was a teenager, and snuck in and out of the house at night, he pulled her aside and simply said What the hell are you doing? I have killed people for doing that. Needless to say, his daughter realized her mischief was triggering his PTSD, and she never snuck out of the house again.

http://www.earlybirdpaper.com/local-vets-honored-by-ohio-military-hall-of-fame/

post-164911-0-10180900-1570715189_thumb.jpeg

Cpl. Punishment

His fatigues are quite worn. Not pictured is his dress uniform. Unfortunately his medals and everything have been taken off the uniform besides the patches.

post-164911-0-47529200-1570717058_thumb.jpeg

Cpl. Punishment

Here is the rest of the group. The other field jacket has ghosting of where his name tape and army tab would have been. I am hoping the family finds his ribbon rack and everything to restore the uniform. Unfortunately none of it is directly named inside like so many Vietnam era uniforms.

post-164911-0-11897800-1570720463.jpeg

This uniform group provides an insight into what a U.S. Army infantryman wore during the Vietnam War. God Bless him and the others who served their nation when it was not popular to do so.