• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 ChuckC

ChuckC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 249,345
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

And some similar. Just wanted to show the similarities.

Best Regards,
ChuckC

#27 ChuckC

ChuckC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 249,345
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

My 10" M1 dated OL weighs 15.2 oz.  I was only trying to point out the similarities on the eBay auction.  I stand behind my statement that I think your bayonet is a darn nice reproduction.  If someone can prove otherwise, I'll retract my statement.

You have been a gentleman communicating with me, and I appreciate it.

Best Regards,

#28 SKIPH

SKIPH

FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 7,773
  • 4,278 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

Try looking at a couple of things. See if there is an OL stamp on the guard, also take the handle off and see if OL is stamped on the bayonet catch (the long bar). These places are usually stamped by the maker. SKIP

#29 Misfit 45

Misfit 45
  • Members
    • Member ID: 26,996
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:08 PM

Well I'll be dipped!  When you look at it closely, it is clearly different.  Aside from what has been mentioned, the 1943 is totally off center to the right.

Marv

#30 6th.MG.BN

6th.MG.BN
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,163
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:23 AM

My 10" M1 dated OL weighs 15.2 oz.  I was only trying to point out the similarities on the eBay auction.  I stand behind my statement that I think your bayonet is a darn nice reproduction.  If someone can prove otherwise, I'll retract my statement.

You have been a gentleman communicating with me, and I appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Chuck,
I believe that if someone post something on this forum it is open to discussion. So far there are more signs of it being a repro versus a real period one. It is very scary how well it is made. The only thing that tilts the scales is the font and minor details. The construction of it is spot on!
Ken

#31 6th.MG.BN

6th.MG.BN
  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:28 AM

Try looking at a couple of things. See if there is an OL stamp on the guard, also take the handle off and see if OL is stamped on the bayonet catch (the long bar). These places are usually stamped by the maker. SKIP

Skiph,
I did get a chance to pull the grips off yesterday. No markings at all. Interesting in that there was cosmoline under the grips which could be the reason there was more noise coming the other cutdown bayonet I had on hand to compare it to.
Ken

#32 6th.MG.BN

6th.MG.BN
  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:30 AM

Well I'll be dipped!  When you look at it closely, it is clearly different.  Aside from what has been mentioned, the 1943 is totally off center to the right.
Marv

Marv,
I don't think the "1943" is totally off center as much as the "US" is skewed to the right a little and the 1943 to the left.
Ken

#33 sactroop

sactroop
  • Members
    • Member ID: 17,422
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

As time goes by this hobby doesn't get any easier.  IMHO, over the last few years I've see a few examples where the markings look rather compelling, but other signs in the manufacture of the item ruled it out very quickly from being original.

It's nice to have a place where many eye's can look over what's out there.  Sometimes it clears things up pretty fast, sometimes it gives us more to think about.

#34 6th.MG.BN

6th.MG.BN
  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

As time goes by this hobby doesn't get any easier.  IMHO, over the last few years I've see a few examples where the markings look rather compelling, but other signs in the manufacture of the item ruled it out very quickly from being original.
It's nice to have a place where many eye's can look over what's out there.  Sometimes it clears things up pretty fast, sometimes it gives us more to think about.

Rodger that. I think 9 out of 10 dealers would pick this bayonet off a table at a show on Friday night with the "sellers light" that illuminates the tables. Without the aid of reference books or internet to compare the minor differences in font/ stamping, you could not tell by weight or the good quality of construction.
I'm not into this for a king's ransom so I hope the best thing that comes out of this another learning curve for all to gain more knowledge from.
If this had been stamped with the right markings we wouldn't even know they were infiltrating the ranks of US bayonets.
Ken

#35 Kilian

Kilian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 509
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:59 PM

Interesting topic! I was just wondering: Is the finish of the blade different from that on the crossguard and pommel, or is it just the picture that makes the blade seem more deep black? Could it have been made from a Greek M1 bajonet?

#36 Kilian

Kilian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 509
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:41 AM

Or perhaps made from an unmarked M1 bayonet? Stamps are available, for instance https://www.gunparts...roducts/810910A , although this one may or may not be the right size.

Edited by Kilian, 11 October 2019 - 04:48 AM.

#37 AZPhil

AZPhil
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,740
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:42 PM

Great thread. A little scary for bayonet collectors. But a educational read.

Semper Fi

Phil.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users