Japanese Markings on WW2 Hawaii Silver Certificate

trenchbuff

Does anyone know the meaning or significance of the Japanese chop mark on this WW2 Hawaii silver certificate? Thought it was interesting but could be nothing.

post-944-0-73215200-1570400361_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know the meaning or significance of the Japanese chop mark on this WW2 Hawaii silver certificate? Thought it was interesting but could be nothing.

post-944-0-81581800-1570400426_thumb.jpg

I showed this to a co-worker who said that the kanji is Chinese and she translated it as follows (top to bottom): Luck, mountain, 5, 8. She then stated that the number 5 is normally associated with the word "me or I." The number 8 is associated with fortune or money. While she said the markings don't really make any sense, she felt that it was probably trying to convey something like "Lucky mountain will bring me a fortune."

Eric Queen would be the guy to show this to. Perhaps he will stumble upon it and provide some input.

I hope this helps.

Allan

I showed this to a co-worker who said that the kanji is Chinese and she translated it as follows (top to bottom): Luck, mountain, 5, 8. She then stated that the number 5 is normally associated with the word "me or I." The number 8 is associated with fortune or money. While she said the markings don't really make any sense, she felt that it was probably trying to convey something like "Lucky mountain will bring me a fortune."

Eric Queen would be the guy to show this to. Perhaps he will stumble upon it and provide some input.

I hope this helps.

Allan

Thanks Allan! Chinese does make more sense. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a common practice to put good luck chops on money hoping it would increase your fortune and luck. Thanks again for showing it to your friend. If I don't hear from Eric, I'll drop him a message. :)

福山伍八

Mark, for what it's worth I agree with Allan's assessment. The first two characters are a Japanese (or Chinese) surname or place name "Fukuyama". The last two are "5" and "8" = "gohachi". Not familiar with any given name written like this and could not find it in Kanshudo's Japanese name database.

I am leaning toward Chinese but beyond that have no idea

Sorry I could not be of more help.

福山伍八

Mark, for what it's worth I agree with Alan's assessment. The first two characters are a Japanese (or Chinese) surname or place name "Fukuyama". The last two are "5" and "8" = "gohachi". Not familiar with any given name written like this and could not find it in Kanshudo's Japanese name database.

I am leaning toward Chinese but beyond that have no idea

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Thanks Eric! Actual does narrow it down. Sounds like it has meaning to the person who put the mark there but not so much to anyone not familiar with him.