MkV Gas Grenade

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

Recently acquired a rare MkV Gas Grenade (empty and safe). It is in great condition and the original paint is almost perfect except for some staining/patina. The fuse is also an original and appropriate early cut back with no nomenclature on the lever. The fuse even has some of the original igniter element still in the stem.

All comments are welcome.

post-17994-0-08828600-1570221269.jpg

post-17994-0-05044900-1570221313.jpg

post-17994-0-90438500-1570221326.jpg

Congratulations , a very rare and desirable piece in such condition. People often ask me in a strange tone " why do you collect this stuff"?....well, collecting items that were manufactured to be destroyed, and somehow escaped destruction, makes them highly desirable...my standard answer.

I thought the one I have was a MkV, but after a little research found out it's a MKII KJ.....Mine is lacking the holes in the grenade's body.....Saw it at a local auction, thinking it was some sort of homemade job, so I didn't bid on it....As luck would have it, the guy who got it at the auction owns a local junk store....So after a few visits, I was able to get it at nominal cost....

Were these MkV's & MkII KJ's WW1 vintage or postwar?....Seems I remember seeing original film footage of a car used by Bonnie and Clyde....I think it was captured by the police, and in the open trunk were some of these gas grenades...I believe they were stolen from an armory....Bodes

Very nice pick up John! I remember seeing one posted somewhere a while back, but it wasn't even close to this condition.