Nam issued M-1923 cartridge belt

Fixbayonets!

I picked up a large Vietnam USAF group and was surprised to find this M-1923 cartridge belt set in his footlocker. I believe he had entered service in 1968 and was stationed at an airbase in Thailand. The footlocker also contained all of his M-1956 gear. The cartridge belt is fully loaded with live ammo in enbloc clips, headstamps dated 1972. Also of interest in the M7 grenade launcher and sight. So I was wondering in what capacity was the USAF using the M-1 Garand during the Vietnam War era?

Thanks,

Rob

post-168-0-34452400-1569503149_thumb.jpg

maybe not from his tour in SE Asia...did he join the Air Guard or Reserves after his AD tour? I have pics of the DE Air Guard in riot gear training using the Garand...there are many photos of the Guard and Reserves with Garands in the late 60's and 70s

Unfortunately I do not know if he was with the Air Guard or Reserves after active duty, I suppose it is possible. I did not receive any paperwork with the group & an internet search came up empty on him. Thanks for the info, that is an angle I did not figure on.

Rob

my neighbor on Christmas of 1968 was on leave from Nam, he was removed from his parents home and taken directly back to Nam. he was a usaf MP or some special sort, he had all sorts of gear similar and more advanced gear than that what you found at your estate sale. I was only a kid, but remember it well because I was shoveling snow with him. he was home on leave, not awol., he finally came home in 70 with his family from there.

god bless him, his kids served this country in the sand box

semper fi

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I read a anecdote a couple years ago about an airman being issued an M1 Garand in 1968 in Vietnam. But most airmen who needed a rifle in the Vietnam region had an M16.

It appears he was issued both the M-1 and M-16 during his time in service. The footlocker contains a M-1956 mag pouch, M7 bayonet for the M-16, and bandoliers for both the M-16 and the M-1. One of the M-1 bandoliers has Thai or ARVN markings on it.

Sorry, my mistake. It's one of the 5.56 bandoliers with the markings. Not sure in what language, maybe Korean? The 30 cal. bandolier is dated April 67.

Rob

post-168-0-60004000-1569699791_thumb.jpg