I Saw a Saw and Bought It

mikie

To be honest, I'm not sure this is militaria or not. But it could be?

I found this old saw in a box of 6 others at a random garage sale I stopped at on Saturday. It was grungy but looked in good shape so I bought it for 8 bucks. I got it home and started cleaning it up and was able to read the markings on the blade. It's a Disston Model D42.

post-2687-0-01472400-1569268291_thumb.jpg

I looked it up and was quite surprised to find that the Model D42 was an exclusively made WWII saw. It is basically a pre-war Model D15, but the medallion and screws were made with steel instead of brass. The blade is also marked with a large V for Victory logo quite different from the logos used on pre and post-war saws. The thing that seems to confuse vintage tool gurus about these saws is that the D42 and D43 saws do not appear in the Disston wartime commercial catalogs. Were they made under government contract for military use? So far as my searches go, nobody knows. Anyone here have know anything about these saws?

Mikie

And here is a close up of the logos.

post-2687-0-40731400-1569268504_thumb.jpg

This particular logo was only used on the D42 and D43 saws, and they were made only during WWII.

Pretty cool! I got a neat old saw, it turns out to be a WWII artifact that may be military, and it cuts wood really well too! So unless I manage to cut a finger off with it (I'm not the most accomplished person with tools), not much downside to this one!

I'd love to see your wartime tools if you'd care to share.

Mikie

easterneagle87

This is very interesting. I always wonder about militay tools. There has to be a TON out there. I see tool rolls all the time but don't know about the tools them selves. Are the marked "US" ? I've dug through piles of wrenches but just don't see US on the rusty bits.

Mikie,

This is really cool!!

Since victory items were home front items, I would think this was for civilian use but could very well be wrong. Either way, great item!!

...Kat

Mikie,

This is really cool!!

Since victory items were home front items, I would think this was for civilian use but could very well be wrong. Either way, great item!!

...Kat

Well, that's the confusing thing, Kat. These are not listed in the wartime civilian company catalog. So civilians would not have known about them? A head scratcher. Just probably not a good idea to use the saw to scratch the head.

Sadly the original Disston company is long gone and who knows where the company records are, if they still exist?

Mikie

General Apathy

To be honest, I'm not sure this is militaria or not. But it could be?

I found this old saw in a box of 6 others at a random garage sale I stopped at on Saturday. It was grungy but looked in good shape so I bought it for 8 bucks. I got it home and started cleaning it up and was able to read the markings on the blade. It's a Disston Model D42.

Mikie

gee Mikie eiight dollars you say, I think they saw you coming . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

No, seriously I think you made a great buy, the detail and the large Victory emblem look great, jealous who me, yes I am . . . . . . . . . . :love:

lewis.

• 4 weeks later...
General Apathy

Thanks Rene and Ken. Nice of you to lumber over here. Just hope you don't get board with the subject. Ok, got that out of my system.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, take care and enjoy your find, don't let yourself get all knotted up or you wood end up saw . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I bet you are pining to find more wood working tools after you saw this one.

Saws cut wood, wood comes from trees, so heres a couple of tree jokes . . . . . . . .

' Have you seen the documentary about Beavers cutting down trees . . . . . . it's one of the best dam videos ever . ! ! ' :lol:

' what did the Jedi say to the sacred tree . . . . . . . . . may the forest be with you ! ! ' :blush:

Well I wonder if you saw that coming :o

lewis.

Well no sense hammering this topic about old woodworking tools. It is plane that Ken has nailed it. I am in awl of his last post here.

Mikie

General Apathy

Well no sense hammering this topic about old woodworking tools. It is plane that Ken has nailed it. I am in awl of his last post here.

Mikie

.post-344-0-54484300-1571741520.jpeg

lewis . . . . . . . . :lol::lol::lol: