Marines on USS PITTSBURG 1930 Asiatic Fleet

Bob Hudson

This was from Pvt. Cecil J Schwartz, Asiatic Fleet, USS Pittsburgh, Marine Detachment, Sept 1929 to May 1931.

There are over 400 photos in the leather album with the front cover depicting places visited by the Pittsburgh including during it's last cruise from Asia to Norfolk, where she was sold for scrap.

1.jpg

FOUND THESE TWO MUSTER ROLL ENTRIES ONLINE

1st-muster.jpg

1stchinamuster.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Home run! Nice leather dragon album from I think Photo Sales company highlighting the last years of this long serving Asatic Fleet ship

... I know your drooling over this one!

Home run! Nice leather dragon album from I think Photo Sales company highlighting the last years of this long serving Asatic Fleet ship

My client sent me these photos but today I'll see them in person as well as some documents, including the Pittsburgh's iitinerary for its voyage from the China Sea to the Chesapeake & Norfolk.

Also - what looks like a cruise book: CRUISIN' AROUND it was called:

book.jpg

itin2.jpg

itin.jpg

Picked up the album today and it has more photos than I expected, plus some documents and a cruise book for the Pittsburgh's last Asiatic Fleet cruise before heading east through the Suez to Norfolk. I haven't had a time to take a look at the photos I had seen before, but I did want to share this:

crus.jpg

crus1a.jpg

crus2.jpg

crus4.jpg

crus3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a slide show of the 29 or so pages (perhaps 145 photos) with China contents - this is about half of the total content of the album:

And here's a slideshow focused mostly on closeups of the Marines at work and play:

Awesome piece of history, you couldn't ask for a better example. Looks like he went just about everywhere ('see the world'?!). The photo captioned "DRY-DOCK at OLONGAPO" shows the Dewey Drydock, a floating drydock that was scuttled in 1941 when Japan invaded the Philippines (they later raised it and we sank it again later in WWII). The photo is of the old Subic Bay base, and the smoke is coming from the funnels of the drydock (it had 3). The Tsingtao photos are interesting, it had been fortified by Imperial Germany before WWI. Following attacks primarily by Japanese forces (Allies in WWI), it capitulated in early November 1914 and was an early Allied victory of that war. One of the photos looks to show Japanese sailors in marching order. Thanks for making the video of the album. Great composition and topic.