Help identifying WWI medal

gufa4

Zeeland, Michigan used this form of medal (Robbins Co. Type 2 using the Planck book) in addition to North Carolina. I think they were the only two to use it.

He is also wearing a British Military Medal by the looks of it -- only 411 of them were awarded to US personnel during WW1 according to the 1923 report to Congress on decorations.

So if there is a list of the men who got the british medal it could be referenced against all that won the DSC and maybe come up with an identity

So if there is a list of the men who got the british medal it could be referenced against all that won the DSC and maybe come up with an identity

It would take some effort but I agree there is a fair chance he could be identified.

Here is a decent site that will significantly narrow down the possibilities. I would start with those earning the DSC on Sept 29th when they broke through the Hindenburg Line. Researching another regiment most of the British military medals were issued to them on the 29th so that might be the case with the 119th as well.

https://docsouth.unc.edu/wwi/ncday1921/ncday.html#p29