Watch out for this 101st OD border patch on eBay

mortaydc60

This patch is currently listed on eBay. The patch has an OD border,eye and tongue. The real and correct version the tongue is white. Saw this fantasy piece years ago and has resurfaced. Just wanted to make the members aware. Besides the tongue issue there are others but that should be enough to help you avoid this patch. Tried to resize pics but no luck will provide item number.

Yes that is the one,you were very quick and thanks for help. By the way there are other OD reproductions for sale but they are marked as such and pretty obvious.

Found another one to avoid that is OD but with red tongue. The problem here is that Mark Bando shows something like this on his site. I have never seen one but someone reading Marks site and seeing this patch may think they struck it rich. Item # 303287340450

post-565-0-53126200-1569011325.jpg

post-565-0-29396300-1569011338.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Looks like thread was used to make the od bdr, I had a 86th div with od bdr that looked the same.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mort,

I was at SOS when Mark Bando showed me the OD border 101st patch that he had picked up there. This piece most certainly did NOT have veteran's provenance. The dealer that he purchased this patch from also had examples of the 86th and 87th Division OD border patches. All of them had the same odd colored OD borders like what you posted in #6. At the time, I told Mark that I didn't think that it was an original and that he ought to try to get his money back. M ark seemed to think that it had a chance and has since posted it up on his site.

I find it interesting that these OD border patches are all made from Type 10 and Type 14 examples- most of which won't bring the same kind of money that a Type 1 through 9 will bring.

My two cents.

Allan

Those red tongue OD borders turned up in the mid to late 1980s and in my opinion are another reproduction trying to be real.I have been in the rare patch business for 40 years and have never owned a real 86th or 87th Division OD Border and then on the same table a Red Tongue 101st.It sounds to me like a n episode from the Twilight Zone.Scotty

I was looking at the one listed on post 6 and to make matters worse I think that OD border was added to it.If you blow up the photo both the front and back of that border are so ragged it looks hand done.Scotty

BILL THE PATCH

Thank God these imbeciles that make these are screwing up basic things for these patches. I mean there so good, but they botch a simply thing like the tongue or the eye.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The problem for me is that I regard Bando’s site as pretty reliable. Thanks to Allan relating the story on the 101st. Was not aware there was problem with it but knew that the 86 and 87 were a problem. Now we can lump them together in the trash heap the 86,87 and 101st red tongue OD.