S&W Victory Revolver Grip Question

opus5150

Good day, all. I was hoping someone with more S&W knowledge than I can help me with this: I have a Victory revolver, SN V251875, .38 Special - US Navy marked, no lend-lease or import/export markings. Shipped to the US Navy in 1943, my revolver supposedly came with smooth walnut grips, but the ones on it now are checked - no medallion - but serial numbered to match the pistol. My question(s) is this: Was it common for replacement grips to be issued with serialized grips to match? Could it be a later modification? (This option makes the most sense, but the checkering appears factory), They appear to have been on the pistol for quite some time, as they fit perfectly with no overlap.

I've searched this and other forums regarding this, and checked grips minus the medallion were an issued item for certain pistols, but not this variant according to the research letter from the S&W historical foundation which states that the grips were not original. I'm just looking for some other opinions on that finding.

Thanks

post-215122-0-52862400-1568991813_thumb.jpg!

pre war diamond grips , the grips are very collectible you can get new or used smooth grips on line.

also pilots did change grips , my cousin had stag on his, USMC late ww2 Korea

My question(s) is this: Was it common for replacement grips to be issued with serialized grips to match? Could it be a later modification? (This option makes the most sense, but the checkering appears factory), They appear to have been on the pistol for quite some time, as they fit perfectly with no overlap.

Hello Opus:

Nice looking Victory there.

If the inside of your right grip panel is serial number matching to the rest of your revolver, then the grips are the originals which came on the gun when shipped from the factory. The catch is that the original grips have been modified by checkering. The checkering does not fit any S&W factory pattern. I can assure you with 100% confidence that the checkering is not factory checkering. Factory replacement grips do not have any serial numbers applied.

I have observed this condition occasionally in the past. The original smooth walnut stocks were maybe a little too smooth for a firm grip for some or a little too military looking for the owner at the time. (Remember, your revolver is now 76 years old. A lot can happen in 76 years.)

The reason that they fit so well and why they are serial numbered is that the factory hand fit the grips ("stocks" in S&W parlance) to each gun. At that time there was enough variation in the grip frames that a tight fit could not always be guaranteed, so the grips were fit to the gun before it was given its finish, removed and serialized on the right grip panel only, and then returned to the gun for final assembly. The factory's manufacturing process improved over time and S&W eventually discontinued the practice of serializing the grips in the 1960s.

I hope that info helps you.

Regards,

Charlie

I appreciate the replies and impressive knowledge conveyed! Mr. Flick, thank you for the history and explanation - I feel a bit better about hearing that the grips are original but modified sometime during its life. Just adds to the story and character of a fine WW2 pistol. If only it could speak...

Thanks again!

Mike