Just for fun...The longest US bayonets from three centuries

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd show the longest bayonets from the 1800s,1900s and so far....2000s. The 1862 Merrill bayonet has a blade length of 25 1/2 inches long. The Model of 1917 has a blade that's 17 inches long. The Marine Corps OKC3S has a blade length of 9 inches.

Marv

post-26996-0-22504300-1568865811_thumb.jpg

Great topic ! Thank you !

I do recognise some... but I notice something else.

They are getting bigger again. And to think some people out there think the Bayonet went the way of the horse and buggy. Of

course the people that think that are not and were never, soldiers. I bought an adapter for my 16 inch barreled ar- so I could put a Bayonet on it.

Darn nice collection by the way !!!

So cool! Thanks for sharing the pictures! One thing . . . what would a 27" long bayonet be good for? If you added that to your gun, you'd have an awful time balancing that! Also . . . where did you wear it? Or was it really like a shorter sword? Also . . . who used it? Very interesting!

what would a 27" long bayonet be good for? . . . where did you wear it? Or was it really like a shorter sword? Also . . . who used it? Very interesting!

That is a Yataghan-style piece that was indeed a sword/bayonet - the French introduced them in 1840: http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL%20DOCUMNETS/yataghan%20models.htm

When mounted on a long gun, the leverage must have made the Yataghan seem like it weighed 20 lbs.

That is a Yataghan-style piece that was indeed a sword/bayonet - the French introduced them in 1840: http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL%20DOCUMNETS/yataghan%20models.htm

When mounted on a long gun, the leverage must have made the Yataghan seem like it weighed 20 lbs.

Thanks for the info! I would imagine that it must have felt like it weighed as much as tying your rucksack on the end of your rifle! Wow!

the top sword bayonet is the French M42 bayonet date 1855 , these were also in use during the US CIVIL WAR , I read they needed rifles and bought up many of the european rifles and bayonets for use during the civil war back in 1860

one of many types of bayonets & rifles used during the CW, another reason why they needed such long bayonets is to take a soldier on horseback so they could have more reach.

post-1885-0-96080100-1568934982_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind words.

The Merrill bayonet was Navy, so the extra length would have been good for repelling hostile boarders from entering the ship.

These are the bayonets shown:

1. 1862 Merrill Navy bayonet

2. 1862/3 Remington bayonet (Zouave) There is no direct association with the Zouave fighters.

3. 1892 Krag bayonet This one dated 1903

4. Remington Lee Navy bayonet From a distance it could be confused with a Krag Cadet bayonet

5 Model of 1905 bayonet

6.Model of 1917 bayonet

7 WWII M1905 bayoet

8.M1. bayonet

9. M4 bayonet

10. M5 bayonet

11. M6 bayonet

12. Colt marked M7 bayonet

13. Phrobis III M9 bayonet

14. Marine OKC3S bayonet

• 1 month later...

another reason why Yataghan sword bayonet were "curved" is for clearance when used on a muzzle loading rifle, so your hand would have room to push down on the ram rod while loading lead balls on a muzzle loading rifle with the bayonet attached.

post-1885-0-37833800-1572033463.jpg

post-1885-0-18715000-1572033476.jpg

Excellent point...one I had not considered. I had thought the yataghan style blade was the popular "in vogue" thing to do.....to adopt things and ideas from the middle east. Example: the Zouave regiments.

Marv