The metals of medals

CDWells

There's always a good healthy discussion when the metal a medallion is made of. Is it bronze? Sterling Silver or Silver Plated?

I weighed in on that last one on a thread involving a challenge coin and suggested he weigh it , like collectors of regular coins do. Solid silver would be heavier than something that was just plated.

I know bronze, silver, gold, cupro-nickel, and pewter are all fairly common. They are all pretty durable and take casting or impressing well. Brass looks like the go to choice for attaching it to the uniform for medals and ribbons. I've only seen a few that were a white metal of some sort. Two were magnetic (WWI Vic and a ADSM pinnacle- both ribbons and both unmarked.) A Wolf-Brown AGCM ribbon, clutch back, is non-magnetic. I would assume the prevalence of non-ferrous metals is to keep rust at bay.

What would be the likely choices in those cases? Aluminum and Stainless Steel? Knowing composition is a big part of preservation in my thinking. Anyone else have thoughts?

I never thought about it much until you brought this up. What are most common medals made of? I think most ribbons are mounted on aluminum or brass, and I've seen older zinc ones.

Exactly, there's always the discussions over the composition and production of the medallion, but not as much for the mount or ribbon bars. In some ways they might be even more important than the medallion. The medallion often survives, but the ribbon/mount doesn't. Then, you have to find the parts to restore it.

I've got a British War Medal that needs completely remounted, so I'll need the right ribbon and a mount. I suspect it was rescued from being melted down for the silver as I got it for about scrap price.

Brass seems to be the go to for medal mounts. It is mostly inert and can be machined, stamped, and soldered, so it makes a lot of sense.

I recently have been going through a bag of 18 ribbon and two devices. By the numbers:

5 Brass- Slide- Vanguard

2 Brass- Slide- Lordship

1 Brass- Slide- Bende & Son

1 Brass- Slide- NS Meyer

3 Brass- Slide- Unknown (A hallmark)

1 Brass- Slide- Unknown (Ridged metal)

1 Brass- Clutch- Unknown (Ridged metal)

1 Brass- Slide- Unknown (1/2" WW I Victory)

1 White metal- Pinback- Unknown (magnetic)

1 White metal- Slide- Unknown (non-magnetic WWI)

1 Plastic- Slide- Wolf-Brown (on WB single mount)

You can tell brass is the popular choice, but there is a good variation when something else is used.

I suspect the pinback is some kind of steel, maybe galvanized, but the WWI slide is either aluminum or zinc.

Anyone else want to join in the debate?

Thanks. I figured the mount was a separate item. They usually are, but I'd like either a period one or a decent repro to give it a finished look. I'm considering buying repros of the star and victory medal to keep it company while I search for the set, but who knows how a Argyll and Sutherland man's 'Squeak' ended up in Ohio?