Named USMC Kabar

Arrow

Hi guys,

Picked this small grouping up a while back. With some research on the net. I was surprised to find Sgt. Walter Tiedeman was assigned to VMF(N)-531 "The Grey Ghosts" This was the Marine Corps first night fighter squadron which operated out of the Russell Islands from 1943 to 1944. They flew modified PV-1 Lockheed Venturas crewed by a pilot, radar/radio operator and one turret gunner.

Tiedeman was the turret gunner on "Gertie the Goon", piloted by the squadron exec. officer Major John D. Harshberger. By the time they were reassigned to the states in 1944 to train other crews, "Gertie the Goon" was credited with downing four Japanese aircraft.

Arrow

post-201842-0-95066100-1568654249_thumb.jpg

post-201842-0-95593900-1568654267.jpg

Thanks Aznation,

I purchased the knife from a guy in Chicago so that fits.

Most of my info from the docdroid site you listed. The info from fold3 is much appreciated!

Love it when an object can be connected to a piece of history. Almost never happens for me.

Regards

Arrow

You're welcome. Yes, it is wonderful when you pick up a piece or pieces and are actually able to find out some great info on the person or their history. By the way, it rarely happens for me either, but when it does, it's GREAT! -- Matt