Value of Dummy Rounds?

Badge

I am cleaning up boxes of dad's belongings and I have four 20mm dummy rounds stamped with a date of 1943 and two 40 mm stamped 1942. The big projectile is a 105 mm. Any idea on value of these items? Thanks

post-254721-0-25740700-1568652205_thumb.jpg

Here is my opinion and why. First, what is the date on the 105mm? If war dated ( WW2, Vietnam) it brings premium. GB has one listed for about $160 ( plus shipping) with a beat up driving band. If as the picture shows gold colored, that means it is a dummy, for training purposes, loading, handling... It should be engraved 105mm, HE, M1....just above the driving band, these are drying up, I have not seen many in the past year or two. The 40mm Bofors has a hole drilled in the case, a big minus. Is the projo factory crimped into the case? A plus. $75-100 if projo. and case marked with an anchor ( and MK number- Navy issue), alittle more if Army issued, case marked M25. The 20mm with hole drilled in case, a minus-if factory crimped a plus-$20-25...get a brass case for the 105mm, should run about $100 non war dated, shipped.

Here is my opinion and why. First, what is the date on the 105mm? If war dated ( WW2, Vietnam) it brings premium. GB has one listed for about $160 ( plus shipping) with a beat up driving band. If as the picture shows gold colored, that means it is a dummy, for training purposes, loading, handling... It should be engraved 105mm, HE, M1....just above the driving band, these are drying up, I have not seen many in the past year or two. The 40mm Bofors has a hole drilled in the case, a big minus. Is the projo factory crimped into the case? A plus. $75-100 if projo. and case marked with an anchor ( and MK number- Navy issue), alittle more if Army issued, case marked M25. The 20mm with hole drilled in case, a minus-if factory crimped a plus-$20-25...get a brass case for the 105mm, should run about $100 non war dated, shipped.

Thanks for the info. I had never noticed the inscription on the 105 till you described where it is located. The body of the projectile appears to be solid brass. The tip is steel, The inscription is AMM Lot No 37-23 1 44-6. I don't see the 105mm, HE, M1. The area that is inserted in the casing has a lot of build up of gunk so anything there is covered.

The 40's have a crimp running the entire circumference of the casing. There is a anchor and MK number. Dummy has been stamped over several of the markings/numbers. Both stamped 9-42

If the body is made of bronze, it is a practice loading dummy, also, it's base should be hollow ( open base).I have never seen one, no idea of what it is worth. It would also require a special bronze loading dummy shell case to be correct. The 40mm Bofors rounds are authentic USN practice loading dummy rounds, not put togethers. My estimate, $100-125, maybe more to an advanced collector to round out a Bofors collection.

If the body is made of bronze, it is a practice loading dummy, also, it's base should be hollow ( open base).I have never seen one, no idea of what it is worth. It would also require a special bronze loading dummy shell case to be correct. The 40mm Bofors rounds are authentic USN practice loading dummy rounds, not put togethers. My estimate, $100-125, maybe more to an advanced collector to round out a Bofors collection.

Yes, the 105 is hollow. The only other mark I see is a stamped circle with a flame coming out of one side. I had it just sitting in my home for a number of years. A couple old timers spotted it and went over and picked it up and looked down the hollow to the cap to make sure it was disarmed. Thanks for the info. Any suggestion where to put them up for sale? Sorry to ask so many questions but this is all new to me. Everyone here had been very helpful.

Yes, the 105 is hollow. The only other mark I see is a stamped circle with a flame coming out of one side. I had it just sitting in my home for a number of years. A couple old timers spotted it and went over and picked it up and looked down the hollow to the cap to make sure it was disarmed. Thanks for the info. Any suggestion where to put them up for sale? Sorry to ask so many questions but this is all new to me. Everyone here had been very helpful.

If the mark you say is a " flaming bomb" , it is WW2 vintage. The use of the flaming bomb stamping on ordnance was discontinued right after the war.

US Military Guy

"Any suggestion where to put them up for sale?"

I don't have any suggestions . . . but, if you do post them for sale, let me know, please.

I would be interested in the 105mm.