US - M1917 B.M CO trench gun bayonet ( how did I do ?)

ArchangelDM

Was at my local military fair today and this caught my

Eye,

The thing is a beast ! Its huge and Im told its the bayonet for the M1917 trench gun.

Ive never seen one but I love the look and feel of it ,

Due to my lack of knowledge on these lets ask the more educated people on edges weapons

So Im asking , how did I do.

Is she a bit of a rarity ?

Ive not seen one here in the Uk

Thanks in advance

Dean

I wonder if it might of originally been part of the Lean-Lease program. A number of 1917 enfields were sent over and used by the Home Guard. I have and Eddystone that was returned surplused about 20 years ago. They were typically painted red from a stencil with 30-06 on the barrel end to differentiate them from the British 303.

Dean- Looks like you did just fine. Is it a Remington, or a Winchester? The scabbard is a Beckwith MFG, that was produced for WW2. These bayonets, the M1917, were originally designed for the British P14 rifles during WW1. When the US entered WW1, they adopted the P14's design, but converted them from .303, to 30-06', and made a few changes to the bayonet, to convert them to US specs for the M1917. I have an original British P14 bayonet that was converted to US, but the British stamps were obliterated, and a US was placed on the bayonet. The stamps on yours, US w/ ordinance bomb, and eagle was probably made in 1918. The US also "lend leased" thousands of M1917 rifles to Britain in WW2, and I'm sure the bayonets were loaned also. Now, more than likely the one you have was intended for use with the riot shotgun, for guard duty or security purposes. We can only speculate. Hope this helps, pulled it off the top of my head, could be some errors. THX for showing. SKIP

ArchangelIDM

You have a beautiful bayonet there. The bayonet was made during WWI and sports its original finish. The BMCO scabbard, however, is not a WWII item but was made sometime later. The scabbard is part of what is called the Vietnam era scabbards, that are marked B.M.CO., VZM, B.A. Inc.and V.P.CO., even though it is believed that the BMCO scabbard was made as early as 1953. These scabbards were used in Vietnam with the trench guns.

What I love about your bayonet, is that is was available for action in WWI, WWII, and the Vietnam war.

The scabbard that was made in 1945 by Beckwith is pictured below.

post-26996-0-48786500-1568592016_thumb.jpg

Misfit 45- Thanks for keeping me straight on the WW2 M-1917 scabbard vs the later versions. Guess I'm gonna have to add a few variations to my collection. THX SKIP

Don't forget that not only did they make scabbards for WW2 and Vietnam, they also made M1917 Bayonets, Gen Cut and I forget the other one. The scabbard here is the B.A. Inc. one.

post-11546-0-28033500-1568594319_thumb.jpg

post-11546-0-32676900-1568594343_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
BILL THE PATCH

I just saw one these at a local gun show, what's do they go for? I can go back tomorrow if it's cheap enough.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

In really good shape $150-200, beat up a bit, around $100 plus or minus. I got mine for $70, and the scabbard has cuts and chips (although pretty solid) and the blade had surface rust.

BILL THE PATCH

Oh, the guy wanted 250.00, my wife said he said 150.00. I'll go back tomorrow and see. Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Several years ago I had the chance to pick up a really nice one for $190 at the near-by flea market. I hemmed and hawed, even though he carried it for several months he wouldn't come down in price. After I figured that it was probably a good deal given the condition, he stopped coming to the flea market and I never saw him or the bayonet again.

$150 in good shape seems like a good price, but check out the scabbard, they usually show the most abuse.

Value is a subjective animal. It varies greatly from region to region. Here in the New England area youll pay $250 bucks and up for a nice Remington. A Winchester in nice shape will fetch north of $400 easily. These are asking prices of course. Do they sell? Maybe yes, maybe no. But those prices are common here.

"ArchangelIDM

You have a beautiful bayonet there. The bayonet was made during WWI and sports its original finish. The BMCO scabbard, however, is not a WWII item but was made sometime later. The scabbard is part of what is called the Vietnam era scabbards, that are marked B.M.CO., VZM, B.A. Inc.and V.P.CO., even though it is believed that the BMCO scabbard was made as early as 1953. These scabbards were used in Vietnam with the trench guns.

""What I love about your bayonet, is that is was available for action in WWI, WWII, and the Vietnam war.""

Lest we forget the "Korean War"