VT-19 | Torpedo Squadron 19 | Disney Design

walika

VT-19 | Torpedo Squadron 19

The squadron, originally known as the Tigers, had its first insignia approved by Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) on 4 March 1944, consisting of a lion cub riding a torpedo. Bob Burns gave the squadron a lion cub. On the patch the cub is holding the musical "bazooka" that Burns used in his act, while riding a torpedo. The lion went to the Los Angeles Zoo.

Embroidered on wool. Design by Walt Disney Studios.

VT-19-600.jpg\\

Original artwork | Tailhook. Summer, 2018. p 36.

VT-19-Disney-S2018e-700.jpg

Torpedo Squadron 19 (VT-19) was established at NAAS Los Alamitos, California on 15 August 1943, flying the TBM-1 Avenger.

As unit of Carrier Air Group 19 during World War II, it was a part of Admiral Bull Halsey's Naval Task Force. On 18 July 1944, the squadron flew its first combat mission when it conducted pre-invasion strikes against Guam.

The squadron participated in the Battle of Leyte Gulf aboard the USS Lexington (CV-16) striking the Japanese Northern Force composed primarily of aircraft carriers, resulting in 25 Navy Cross awards. The squadron supported the landings at Palau, Morotai and Leyte. Squadron pilots also flew strikes against the Carolines, Philippines, Bonin Islands, Okinawa, Mindanao, Luzon, and Formosa while embarked on USS Lexington.

In October 1944, squadron aircraft participated in strikes against the Central Japanese Task Force in the Sibuyan Sea, which included the super battleship Musashi. Three of the squadron's personnel were awarded the Silver Star for their actions during this strike. On 5 November 1944, squadron aircraft participated in the sinking of Nachi, a Japanese heavy cruiser, which was making a sortie out of Manila Bay.

The squadron changed homeports several times during the Second World War, first to NAS San Diego, then to NAS Alameda, NAAS Santa Rosa, California, and NAS Barbers Point before finally ending up back at NAS Alameda in August 1946. VT-19 also upgraded their Avengers throughout the war, to the TBM-3 in February 1945, the TBM-3E in April 1945, and finally the TBM-3Q.

josesharontraders

Hello Rick,

Long time, some 2 years...I hope you are doing good.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful patch and expounding on the deep research that brought this insignia about--to remind them of their affinity, valour & yank humour so needed in the hearts of fighting American men and women stationed so far away from home.

Wonderful, really. As its late here in Spain, I've run across this ¨first tiger¨ somewhere and will dig around to complement this post, my bro.

Goodnight & thank you. Nice!

jose

• 2 years later...

Thank you for the excellent research of the story behind the patch. Attached, in my father, squadron commander of Torpedo 19, holding the lion cub inside the "19".

I have this patch in excellent condition, as well as others from Air Group 19. I also have a silk scarf with Air Group 19 embroidery. You can see the decal on the F8F my father is in when he was CAG of AG 19. ("19" numbers are a coincidence)

These are available. My kids don't want extra stuff to haul around and someone who appreciates them would be a better home than in a box.

My contact is [email protected]

Thank you.

Peyton

patches 1 (002).jpg

Patches - Foo 2.jpg

CAG in F8F.JPG

Torpedo 19 Lion.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That's a very nice plaque.

Gents, the collection mentioned above has been sold. To all who expressed interest: Thank you.

My kids have now split a legacy of Grandfather Scoofer.