Troop M, First Pennsylvania Cavalry Volunteers Mexican Border

kanemono

Here is an interesting group that I bought in two stages. I bought the WW1 victory and the numbered Mexican border medal, the paper work and the dog-tag from a member. Thanks Derrick. The other two medals, spur, bit, collar discs, ID bracelet and postcards I bought at an antique mall a few miles from Watsontown, Pa. The dealer, who has had the group for several years, wanted way too much for the items but having the numbered medal and dog-tag it was now well worth the price. I have some groups with Mexican border medals but not a complete Mexican border cavalry group.

Ned Follmer Wagner was born on March 16, 1889 in Watsontown, Pennsylvania. He attended Bucknell University. His occupation is listed as clerk. Mexican revolutionary General Francisco "Pancho" Villa crossed the border and raided several U.S. towns including Boquilla, Texas and Columbus, New Mexico resulting in the Battle of Columbus on March 9, 1916. On June 18, 1916, the secretary of War on behalf of President Woodrow Wilson issued a call to the governors to mobilize the entire National Guard. Responding to Wilson's call-up, Pennsylvania Gov. Martin Brumbaugh authorized the Pennsylvania Guard to mobilize. Wagner enlisted in the Pennsylvania National Guard at Lewisburg, Pennsylvania on June 19, 1916. Wagner was assigned to Troop M, First Pennsylvania Cavalry Volunteers, N.G.U.S. The First Cavalry with the 7th Division (the predecessor of the current 28th Infantry Division) arrived at Mt. Gretna on June 23 to begin their encampment. The Soldiers received inoculations including smallpox and anti-typhoid. They also received physical exams to determine their fitness for duty. Men who passed the physical were mustered into federal service by July 4, 1916. Commanded by Maj. Gen. Charles M. Clement, the division arrived in El Paso, Texas, and set up camp by July 25. For the First Cavalry, duty on the Mexican border dragged on for nearly eight months. During this period they were based at Camp Stewart, outside El Paso, Texas, and spent their days in drill, road marches and tactical exercises. They did not take part in any of the cross-border pursuit operations. Wagner served at the Mexican border for the remainder of the fall of 1916 and the spring of 1917. By March all the troops had returned home. During WW1 Wagner served with the 190th Aero Squadron at Gerstner Field, Louisiana. He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant on March 13, 1918. Wagner was discharged on January 4, 1919. Ned Follmer Wagner died in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania on June 18, 1979 and is buried at the Watsontown Cemetery, Watsontown, Pennsylvania.

post-9487-0-95086800-1568387277_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-02417900-1568387287_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-30639800-1568387454_thumb.jpg

Dick,

Great group from a Pennsylvania soldier who served on the Mexican Border and during World War 1. Here is some more information on the solider.

John

post-5224-0-38127800-1568392304_thumb.jpg

Here is an interesting reply to his Veterans Compensation request. World War One Veterans serving in stateside Aviation Production received the same pay as their civilian counterparts they did not receive as large of bonus later when veterans comp was finally approved and funded during the 1930s.

post-5224-0-79721100-1568392832_thumb.jpg

John, Thanks for the information. Derrick, I thought it very interesting that part of Wagner's group found it's way back to Texas. I was told that Wagner's military things were sold at auction a number of years ago. There was a large oval rounded glass colored picture of him in his cavalry uniform a McClellan saddle and WW1 officer's uniform.

Dick

It's great to see broken groups reunited because of the persistent sleuthing of a collector. A beautiful group and nice work, Dick! Would he have also been issued the federal Mexican Border Service Medal?

Hi Dick. I'd consider that a good thing since it then looks like you have the whole group. it's a pleasure to see, and thanks for taking the time to present it!