Photo

Correct USGI bore cleaning brush for M1 Carbine?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,911
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:15 PM

I am putting together some USGI cleaning kits for the M1 Carbine. I have the M8 cleaning rod set with handle section, rod section and patch end. These will be in the later OD two rod compartment pouches. My question is, which bore cleaning brush was used with the M8 set/ M1 Carbine? I see 1945 produced 10-packs of the "Brush, Cleaning, Cal 30, M2" for sale everywhere, but am not sure if this brush was for the M1 Garand, or the Carbine, or both. If not those, what is the correct USGI bore brush?

#2 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:39 AM

The M1 carbine was caliber .30 and the M1 rifle (along with the '03 Springfield, the BAR, and the various .30 cal machine guns). The M2 brush is the correct brush.

Allan

#3 rambob

rambob
  • Members
    • Member ID: 299
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:07 AM

I am not trying to hijack your topic, but I thought I would add a few images to augment it. I bought two Rod, Jointed, Cleaning, M8 sets, mint in their original Sep. 1944 dated packaging. I carefully opened the lesser quality package to get the contents out, while leaving the best example still sealed. The images attached show the packages and contents along with the cotton carrying case. As can be seen the rod is a three part affair with the jag as the fourth piece, all included in the paper package. I have also added two different can examples of the Bore Cleaner and a complete box of the M2 Cleaning Brushes for reference, dated July 7, 1944.

Attached Images

• cleaning rods.jpg
  • cleaning rod label.jpg

#4 rambob

rambob
  • Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:09 AM

Here is the cotton Case, Cleaning Rod, M1

Attached Images

• Clomplete cleaning kit.jpg
  • cleaning rod case back.jpg

#5 milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,911
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:26 PM

Thank you both, especially rambob for the reference pics!! That's incredibly helpful!

#6 rambob

rambob
  • Members
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:44 AM

Milsurp, you are most welcome. I have always believed that one picture is worth a thousand words.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users