woooweee, 1900 Krag Bowie on RIA went for a pretty penny

flyingfarmer

very nice but I think rock island items are mostly over priced - then add in the commission, then tax and then shipping - OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, but then you have to figure, it is not a store selling something where we can make fun of their pricing, but a true auction, so apparently there were people felt it was worth that (wasn't me though, I already (thankfully) have one in the collection). Just was honestly amazed at how much it brought. As always though, there are collectors out there for who $5000 is an hours pay so not a big deal to someone like that. Same auction had a Winchester pistol which went for $431,250 (including buyers premium). So yeah. More money than I have to use for my hobbies :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The estimate was right in the ball park for that bayonet. There have been a couple of them in that condition posted on eBay that went in the estimate range after having went unsold for numerous auction cycles. Thats what mint ones have sold for at shows.

Years ago I saw one at the Raleigh show. The Bowie point had been substantially broken off, then reground in a rounded mess. Seller wanted $500, no scabbard, I passed on it. If it had the scabbard I would have bought it. SKIP

• 3 months later...