PFC Leon A Vaughn - Kansas City MO

wildcat123

I came across an old post about this soldier, Leon Vaughn of Kansas City, last week. I hadn’t previously realized there was more of the group out in the woodwork. I purchased a large box of PFC Vaughn’s belongings back in April of 2019 on eBay. Apparently the source of the items was from Leon’s only son’s estate sale. I wanted to put together a thread for the multiple owners to share his story. I will admit, I have not had a chance to do much research, was hoping to have some time this winter. I’ll share what I know... first of all, introducing the soldier, Leon Vaughn, born in September of 1921.Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon began the induction process in May of 1942. His mothers name was Gladys Birdsall, I believe his step father passed away during the war.Posted Image

Here is the bulk of the material in my collection, large number of letters to his sweetheart and then wife, Miss Audrey Allen Of KCMO. From Camp Rucker Alabama to San Luis Obispo California... to the Pacific with company D, 322 Infantry, 81st Infantry Division.Posted Image

Posted Image

His CIB was sent to his mother. There is some heartbreaking correspondence in the group as Leon’s mother works to reestablish herself as next of kin after Leon’s widow remarried.

That posthumous CIB still attached to the award letter is still one of the neatest examples of an historic piece of insignia, with provenance, that Ive ever seen. Great little piece of history that really hits home the sacrifices of infantry on the front lines.

Wow - that's one heck of a group! I've seen a lot of posthumous groups and that's got to be one of the most thorough.

The posthumous CIB with the award stapled to the letter is pretty amazing. I've seen that letter once before, but not set up like that.

Thank you for going through the effort to put all of this back together!

Dave

I was the poster of the thread back in February of this year. I had purchased multiple items which I believed to be most of what was actually out there on Leon Vaughn. However after reading this, I have now found this grouping was much more extensive then what I originally believed. I actually think there are still more items on eBay which belong to this group, but they are mostly if not all not military related.

Photos to come!