Restoring a CG -4A glider

lwbayer

My name is Larry Bayer, a retired infantryman and Vietnam veteran, I am the director of exhibits at the US Veterans Memorial Museum in Huntsville Al. We are currently in the process of restoring the cockpit and troop/cargo compartment of a CG-4a glider. This glider, like so many others sat out in the woods of northern New York as a hunting shack for many years,

I am looking for cockpit parts for the restoration project., pulleys, knobs, rudder pedals etc.

I realize many museums and other supplier send much of their excess to France in preparation for the 75th D-Day anniversary.

If any one can help, I'd appreciate it

V/R

Larry

Larry,

I would suggest that you start a build thread here.Show any and all progress with detail.(recovery,work shop,etc)We are all visual creatures and love looking.This will gin up interest and hopefully assist in your quest for parts and info.

Good luck!

Bob

That is a good idea. I tried to post a photo in my first posting but file was too large. Not sure what the forum max size is

I believe its around 251 K per image.

Welcome.

Welcome Larry, I got to head down your

.+ way, Looks like you folks have really got a lot of new things now days. I looked you up on the web search. My last time down, I tried to trade Randy out of a m49 gun ring, for my halftrack. but no deal.

WWIIinterviews

My name is Larry Bayer, a retired infantryman and Vietnam veteran, I am the director of exhibits at the US Veterans Memorial Museum in Huntsville Al. We are currently in the process of restoring the cockpit and troop/cargo compartment of a CG-4a glider. This glider, like so many others sat out in the woods of northern New York as a hunting shack for many years,

I am looking for cockpit parts for the restoration project., pulleys, knobs, rudder pedals etc.

I realize many museums and other supplier send much of their excess to France in preparation for the 75th D-Day anniversary.

If any one can help, I'd appreciate it

V/R

Larry

Hi Larry,

Have you tried the Airborne and Special Ops Museum in Fayetteville, NC? They have a full size CG-4A on static display and may be able to help. I believe there is also a gentleman who lives in the Atlanta area that has a CG-4A cockpit that he puts out during some of the WWII heritage days in Peachtree City. I may also try the Silent Wings Museum in Lubbock, TX.

I also know one or two individuals who are doing the same in France.

Hopefully some of this information will be of some benefit. Since your in Huntsville looks like I am going to be making a road trip soon. Would very much like to see what all you guys have.