Vietnam Unknown Air Force In Country Made Patch

blitz67

I have this ERDL jacket named to Col. Lloyd, I know he was with the 619th Tactical Fighter control squadron at one point, not sure if this is just a variation of their patch? Doesn't look like it to me though, I appreciate the help!

Brad

post-683-0-11062500-1567539255.jpg

According to my reference this is their generic patch for the South Vietnamese Air Force. The motto of TO-QUOC KHONG GIAN translates to Our Home is the Air.

This is the VNAF patch, not the 619th Tactical Control Squadron patch. When I was in the 619th at Tan Son Nhut (1971-1972), we wore no unit patches, so Lloyd was probably at one of the detachments or was assigned to the 619th but was attached to a VNAF headquarters.

The Vietnamese rank badge is for a major. Major Lemuel G. Lloyd's Vietnamese Armed Forces Honor Medal is currently on Ebay, with some photographs. In my tour, none of the controllers in the 619th at Tan Son Nhut received a Vietnamese award (a regular gripe since controllers at Danang, for example, did get Honor Medals).

There is a photo in his album with what looks like a small radar station, the sign in front of the building says Van-Thu, not sure if that means anything. I found the jacket last week from the same seller. I have his photo album listed, thanks for all the help, amazing knowledge you guys have! I think I'll take down the album and sell them together.

This is the VNAF patch, not the 619th Tactical Control Squadron patch. When I was in the 619th at Tan Son Nhut (1971-1972), we wore no unit patches, so Lloyd was probably at one of the detachments or was assigned to the 619th but was attached to a VNAF headquarters.

The Vietnamese rank badge is for a major. Major Lemuel G. Lloyd's Vietnamese Armed Forces Honor Medal is currently on Ebay, with some photographs. In my tour, none of the controllers in the 619th at Tan Son Nhut received a Vietnamese award (a regular gripe since controllers at Danang, for example, did get Honor Medals).

Here's an SEA period 619th Tac. Con. Sq., Japan made. It has a dragon as well, so you might see why there could be a bit of confusion with the VNAF patch on the shirt.

Randy

post-8832-0-76335900-1567554901.jpg

The images in the album appear to be taken at Ban Me Thuot, which was Detachment 9 of the 619th Tactical Control Squadron. Their callsign was Pyramid, as I recall.